Participant

Re: Zoom 5341J DHCP RENEW Fails every 4-6 hours

MsRaye wrote:

there are numerous complaints on TWC's CMTS and the 5341's only.

It's a TWC problem. Since they don't rent them, they pass it off on the customers.

As you guys have made clear and I think proven, no argument there. I was talking about the Zoom reply, not the TWC stuff. Except for the fact that my issue was cable related and that could be an issue for others.

The SB6183 BTW, has briefly dropped twice since but so far for less than 10-15 seconds then came back. Don't know what this means longer term or if it miht even be sunspot activity related. NASA says Sol is having one of its 11 year cycle fits right now. So hope my issue doesn't come back.

--It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.--
Rookie

Yep, totally agree that it is a TWC issue but Zoom passing it off as normal was kind of crazy.  They seem to think it is acceptable for the connection to drop.  I would rather they come back and told me that it was a TWC issue.

That being said, I bought a SB6183 because TWC Maxx will be rolled out here next month and it is approved for 300mb vs the Zoom at 100.  So it all worked out.

Highlighted
Participant

MMarcoux66 wrote:

Yep, totally agree that it is a TWC issue but Zoom passing it off as normal was kind of crazy.  They seem to think it is acceptable for the connection to drop.  I would rather they come back and told me that it was a TWC issue.

That being said, I bought a SB6183 because TWC Maxx will be rolled out here next month and it is approved for 300mb vs the Zoom at 100.  So it all worked out.

What's even more odd, is the Zoom lady like MsRaye and redrock, did tell me this was a TWC thing so they doubted their modem was at fault. Yet were willing to send me a new one and not even charge for shipping. So the response you got is just downright odd. Even when I told them later the problem was my cable but I had gone ahead and bought the Arris, they were nice about it. Telling me while they didn't like losing a long time customer they wished me the best Internet connection. But to contact them in the future if I had needs I thought they could help me with. So the response you got just seems so out of place based on my own experience. However, you're not the first or only one. I have seen complaints in other places as I roamed the web. Just that all my experience with them has been positive. Admittedly, their modems were practically trouble-free for me, from their Rockwell and Lucent days til now. So I had little contact with their support people. But I did buy my modems and fax/modems directly from them and my sales experience was also positive. Even when I expressed less than a happy experience with their ADSL  X7N model during my ATT customership. They apologized, offered to take the modem back and refund or credit to a different model. Why different? Day of the week? Time of the day? Or I just dumb lucked into the right person(s) at the right time?

--It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.--
Observer

I ended up going with the Arris, no problems since.

Thanks all!

Expert

The only solar related internet outtages are on Hughesnet when the sun get's directly behind the satellite twice a year.

Really bad solar flares can cause scattered problems but usually on radio connections.

The 5341J issue is on TWC's end. Possibly they're trying to flash new hardware with old firmware