Yet another person moving modem to another room.

Ok, I'm just another guy trying to move my modem to another room without waiting for/paying a technician to come do it for me. So questions I have is can I run my Directv cable and modem cable from the same outlet? I found the box out by the garage with coaxial cable and there is a box in a closet next to the fuse box with the Directv cables an such not sure if internet runs in that same box or not? Need some direction please if someone could give me a boost? Smiley Happy
4 REPLIES

Re: Yet another person moving modem to another room.

Pictures of the boxes shortly

Well that was a waste can't post the pictures Smiley Sad
Established Sharer

Even without pictures the response is the same:  The average user cannot combine Dish or DirectTV and TWC on a single cable.  Special hardware is required and TWC->Spectrum does not support it.  You need two separate runs of RG6-QS coaxial cable

Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

Riayoko wrote:
...can I run my Directv cable and modem cable from the same outlet?

Absolutely not.  The technologies are not really compatible for coexisting with each other.  

Spoiler
Cable companies (like Charter in this case) use Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) to modulate and demodulate digital bits (1's and 0's) over a waveform (think of a sign wave).  Shifts in amplitude and shifts in frequency signify different combinations of 1's and 0's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation#/media/File:QAM16_Demonstration.gif

If you overlay satellite signals onto a cable plant you can cause significant issues for yourself and your neighbors who share the tap with you.  In addition to being a bad neighbor (if the ethics don't matter),  then be forewarned we and often will disconnect your service, to protect the other paying customers.  Charter is more strict on people causing bad noise issues for other paying customers than TWC ever was, which frankly is a really good thing in the long-term as it means the signal quality & clarity will improve across the board (faster & more stable internet & TV, less pixilation and less service interruptions).  tl;dr?  Don't be that guySmiley Tongue (I'm teasing, but seriously please don't).

Riayoko wrote:
I found the box out by the garage with coaxial cable and there is a box in a closet next to the fuse box with the Directv cables an such not sure if internet runs in that same box or not?

Satellite can use a pretty wide range of frequencies, all the way up to 3 GHz.  Charter (depending on area) uses between 10 MHz and 1000 Mhz,

Spoiler
most areas are restricted to 750 MHz max, by the FCC (the FCC tells a provider what frequency ranges they are allowed to use).  Internet/data/OOB upstream is usually on the low end frequencies (because they have to travel further), internet/data/OOB downstream is usually on the high-end frequencies (because they are faster for physical data rates, Mbps). 

Simply put though, there's no good way to filter the two separately, it's not like a DSL filter on a phone line where you can split the analog and digital.  They both use similar, but non-compatible systems.  And their frequencies overlap in some places.

And when it comes to using a random coax wire you found out by the garage...

It needs to be at least tri-shielded or quad-shielded coax (RG6/RG59/RG11) and have GOOD FITTINGS/CONNECTORS.  I emphasize this because if you have any of the following connectors, they are trash for using on modern cable systems.  They used to be ok back in the 1960's, but are terribly leaky (ingress/egress noise sources) with as sensitive as QAM256 is these days...

All of these seen in the photos below are bad to use:

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.