Rookie

Work at Home Internet Stability

I work at home 2 days a week and it is critical that I have a stable internet connection during that time (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM).  Over the last 2 weeks at times my Internet connection has been unstable which has resulted in work loss.  I would like remedy this situation.  Is there a Internet option that would provide better stability?  If there is line maintenance being done can I be notified ahead of time so I can plan for the outage?  Impacting my work day at home will only threaten my ability to pay my Spectum bill so it is not in your. interest to provide this instability.  Thank you.
3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Helper

Re: Work at Home Internet Stability

Since we are just customers like yourself we cannot speak to having advance notice of outages and such, but we may be able to help you diagnose the root cause of your unstable connection. 

Post your modem's signal level page and event logs. Those will tell us if you have a coax issue or some other interference.

Established Sharer

I work at home 2 days a week and it is critical that I have a stable internet connection during that time (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM).

Ah, you're heading down a dangerous road.  If you do any work at home (even incidental 5 or 10 minute "checking my work e-mail from home"), Spectrum will tell you that you need to "upgrade" to Business Class service rather than standard home service.  It will cost more, but they won't offer you the sort of Service Level Agreement you're looking for, so mostly you'll be paying more for nothing.

My recommendation:  Have a second Internet service available to you.  A common one would be some flavor of 3G/4G access point box, all of the major cell phone companies (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) offer them, and if you only use them when your Spectrum home service isn't working for you, the monthly charge won't be too high -- just keep your monthly usage below 2GB per month and you should be OK.

You might be able to use a smartphone "tethered" to do a similar job at no additional expense, but the cell phone companies try hard to restrict you from doing this, especially if you have one of their "unlimited" data plans.

If you have good 4G/LTE Sprint service in your area, be sure to look at what the Calyx Institute offers (nice wireless access box for a $500 yearly donation).

jjf
Newcomer

I am not sure who the original poster works for, but I also work from home and my company does not allow cell phone or data internet connections. It was to be a hard wired connection to the home and to the computer and work done over a vpn. I have also had problems with stability, complained to deaf ears a million times (but never been told to change to a business plan, thankfully), and seem to have signal issues and loss in our line that are suppose to be taken care of now (thought I doubt it). If I can be honest, you'd be better off using another company all together for your internet needs if you need stability to work at home, if that is an option for you.