Rookie

Windows 10 update causing slow internet speeds

Ever since the Windows 10 update done recently, my computer has extremely slow internet speeds.  If I do a speed test on my phone (using the Speedtest.net app), i get download speeds of 117 Mbs and upload speeds of 12.4 Mbs.  i go to speedtest.net and run it for my desktop (at the same time) and I get download speeds of 3.17 Mbs and download speeds of 1.99 Mbs.  

How do I fix this issue?  I seem to find no answer out there, and the automated bot used for Spectrum has nothing to offer.

6 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Windows 10 update causing slow internet speeds

Is this build 1803?

I got it offered to me via Windows Update automatically.  I am delaying the time of the install til late night Wednesday the 16th.  Try running Windows Update again, there may be another update on top the update that fixes the issue. Reboot after this, even if not prompted.

If that doesn't work, try shutting down your computer .  Unplug your modem and router for five minutes.  Than reconnect by plugging them back in.  Wait five minutes for all the lights to come back on, and than turn on your computer again.  Does that help?

You can use the Recovery Tool to go back to Windows 10 build 1709 within ten days of a new Windows build if you have problems.  Do you have any other security software or programs on your computer that may have conflicted with this update?

Satch

Community Manager

@dbolandjr

Check out this post: 

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Spectrum-Ultra/m-p/151928#M50321

The solution may work for your issue as well.  

Seasoned Contributor

Uggh... sometimes I miss the days of manual RWIN tweaking in the registry... there were some nice tools that made it easy button clicks and a quick reboot.

If switching Auto tune mode doesn't resolve it, may want to try giving the stack a reset of sorts. Similar command setup, just telling it to reset the tcp interface. Haven't used it in a while (last time was in 8.1), but it should still be valid in Win10. A bit foggy on the exact syntax, but should be able to google it and get an official hit from the Microsoft site if it errors out:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note these netsh commands need to be run from an administrative command prompt (search "cmd", right click the command it finds and select "run as admin"). You have to tell it where to dump output to, doesn't have to be tbe specific file given, but you have to tell it where to put it.

That command should basically set the stack back as if you had just installed the drivers (DHCP, auto DNA config, etc.). So if you were running static numbers you would need to go back and change them. It is sort of a last-ditch thing to try before dumping the network card in device manager and re-installing it again.

EDIT: originally put the wrong interface of tcp, modified to ip as demonstrated here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility
Rookie

Tried both, didn't work.   Even went through and did a firmware update on my wireless modem as well.  Seems the Windows update doesn't play well with Spectrum...might have to call Spectrum and see if they can give me a fix (since my bill went up $20 a month and I'm not getting anywhere near the speeds I'm paying for).

Trusted Helper

@RAIST5150 wrote:
Uggh... sometimes I miss the days of manual RWIN tweaking in the registry... there were some nice tools that made it easy button clicks and a quick reboot.

If switching Auto tune mode doesn't resolve it, may want to try giving the stack a reset of sorts. Similar command setup, just telling it to reset the tcp interface. Haven't used it in a while (last time was in 8.1), but it should still be valid in Win10. A bit foggy on the exact syntax, but should be able to google it and get an official hit from the Microsoft site if it errors out:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note these netsh commands need to be run from an administrative command prompt (search "cmd", right click the command it finds and select "run as admin"). You have to tell it where to dump output to, doesn't have to be tbe specific file given, but you have to tell it where to put it.

That command should basically set the stack back as if you had just installed the drivers (DHCP, auto DNA config, etc.). So if you were running static numbers you would need to go back and change them. It is sort of a last-ditch thing to try before dumping the network card in device manager and re-installing it again.

EDIT: originally put the wrong interface of tcp, modified to ip as demonstrated here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

A couple of mentions,

No one should do registry edits unless they are computer savvey and know what they are doing.  The same is true for becoming a Windows 10 Insider to do Beta Testing for Fast Ring/Slow Ring releases.  Wrong turns could lead you to having to reinstall Windows.

Does the user own their own modem?  If you rent from Spectrum, you won't be able to update the modem on your own.  You may have to have Spectrum come out and see what is going on about the speeds.  Don't reboot for six hours toward the time of your appointment.  The tech needs to see the error codes.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Another thing to add that is very helpful,

If you are having problems with anything on Windows 10, use the Feedback Hub.  If you don't already have it in your Start Menu, go to the Search box near the Start button- (Search or Cortana.) and type in "Feedback Hub." (No quotes.)  You might need a Microsoft Account to use it, system will help you do that if needed.

You can than send feedback by reporting any suggestions or problems in Windows 10 and that feedback goes to the appropriate developer departments.  Windows 10 is a service, which means that it is modified through time, not only with monthly bug fixes and security updates, but also new feature builds twice a year.

You can submit screenshots of your problems, do data captures.  You can even snapshot, system information in describing your problem.  You can also reply to comments, and filter your issues into specific categories.

I got a fix with an issue that I was having with the Photo application closing up when it was getting ready to print.  Using the Feedback Hub gets the problem more focused directly to the engineering team who can help.  I recommend strongly, the use of the Feedback Hub  in Windows 10.

Satch