Highlighted
Rookie

Wifi connection w/ cell phone constantly connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects...etc

Got the new Wave 2 router this weekend. Works great with my laptop, however when my cell phone (google nexus 5x) tries to connect to it, it connects, stays connected for a couple of seconds, then drops signal, then reconnects, then drops, reconnects...etc etc etc. constantly back and forth. This is killing my battery life (and using up my data).

ive tried just connecting just to the 2.4 band, just the 5 ghz band, and both, and it still does this. distance doesnt matter because it still does it when im standing just 2 feet from the router. ive tried connecting via wps, and no luck either.

talked to google and lg (maker of the phone) and we've tried rebooting the cell phone in safe mode, but no luck either. they say theres nothing wrong with the phone. it was working perfectly with my old router.

Anything else i can try?

3 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Wifi connection w/ cell phone constantly connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects...etc

@petp wrote:

Got the new Wave 2 router this weekend. Works great with my laptop, however when my cell phone (google nexus 5x) tries to connect to it, it connects, stays connected for a couple of seconds, then drops signal, then reconnects, then drops, reconnects...etc etc etc. constantly back and forth. This is killing my battery life (and using up my data).

ive tried just connecting just to the 2.4 band, just the 5 ghz band, and both, and it still does this. distance doesnt matter because it still does it when im standing just 2 feet from the router. ive tried connecting via wps, and no luck either.

talked to google and lg (maker of the phone) and we've tried rebooting the cell phone in safe mode, but no luck either. they say theres nothing wrong with the phone. it was working perfectly with my old router.

Anything else i can try?

Note that Wave2 is a new (2016) WiFi  performance spec, not a modem model number.  In the automotive world this would compare to 2.5 Liter engine displacement vs Ford 2016 Mustang.  Lots of routers introduced in 2017 or later by several manufacturers are Wave2 capable.  To take advantage of the higher WiFi speeds, the paired devices must also have WiFi adapters that fully support Wave2 technology.

First please review this summary and reply back with the missing details if possible:

Customer has Spectrum internet service, speed tier not provided. 

Internet modem model number and status (rented from Spectrum vs customer owned) not provided. 

Customer's LG Nexus 5x cell phone would connect to WiFi of previous router. 

Customer bought and installed a new Wave2 router. 

Same cell phone now fails to connect to WiFi of new router.

Your connection issue seemed to begin when you changed the router.  Start there!

Possibilities:

Cell phone is not compatible with 80 or 160 MHz-wide WiFi bandwidth channels.

FIX:  Reprogram new router to use only the traditional 20 and 40 MHz WiFi bandwidth.

SIDE EFFECT 1: Limits real-world working transfer speed of WiFi to about 340 MBps

SIDE EFFECT 2: May also fix similar connection issues with computers and HP printers that use WiFi instead of CAT-5e cabling.

Cell phone is still looking for a SSID different than default of new router.

FIX: Reprogram new router's SSID to match that of previous router, OR

Make and save a new connection with cell phone and delete the old one.

Please do reply back and let us know your findings.

Rookie

Re: Wifi connection w/ cell phone constantly connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects...etc

Old router was a Technicolor TC8717 (combo modem and router)

New router is Askey RAC2V1K

>Cell phone is not compatible with 80 or 160 MHz-wide WiFi bandwidth channels.

FIX:  Reprogram new router to use only the traditional 20 and 40 MHz WiFi bandwidth.

Maybe, its a 3 year old cell phone. How do i tell the new router to use only 20 and 40 bandwidth?
Just looked it up, router currently using 20/40 on the 2.4 channel and 20/40/80 on the 5ghz channel.

Rookie

RESOLVED: it was the router. the rac2vic is the newest router but its only compatible with their high speed plans (>400mb, gigabit). they gave me a "Sagecom" router and it works perfectly. Apparently it also causes problems with chromecasts/firesticks too.