Newcomer

WiFi keeps dropping or won't connect on Windows 7 & 8

Hey y'all,

I'm not really a tech savy person, so I'd really appreciate yall's help!

I recently upgraded to a new modem (Technicolor TC8717T) and I've been having problems with my WiFi connection. Wifi connection works fine on Android systems, like my Samsung Galaxy S5 (old, I know!), but it does not work at all when it comes to my HP PC that runs on Windows 7. It connects to the SSID but doesn't have internet connection on either the IPV4 or IPV6. On my Lenovo PC , that runs on Windows 8, it connects and I have a steady internet connection but it times out after about 30-60 minutes at which point I have to turn off the Wifi network adapter and restart it until the SSID connects to my laptop again. I'm getting real annoyed by this! 

I've rebooted the modem/router several times, I've updated the wireless network adaptors on both computers, I've reset the adaptors as well, and made sure that the wireless connection stays regardless of the PC's battery. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem? 

2 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: WiFi keeps dropping or won't connect on Windows 7 & 8

malquerida wrote:

Hey y'all,

I'm not really a tech savy person, so I'd really appreciate yall's help!

I recently upgraded to a new modem (Technicolor TC8717T) and I've been having problems with my WiFi connection. Wifi connection works fine on Android systems, like my Samsung Galaxy S5 (old, I know!), but it does not work at all when it comes to my HP PC that runs on Windows 7. It connects to the SSID but doesn't have internet connection on either the IPV4 or IPV6. On my Lenovo PC , that runs on Windows 8, it connects and I have a steady internet connection but it times out after about 30-60 minutes at which point I have to turn off the Wifi network adapter and restart it until the SSID connects to my laptop again. I'm getting real annoyed by this! 

I've rebooted the modem/router several times, I've updated the wireless network adaptors on both computers, I've reset the adaptors as well, and made sure that the wireless connection stays regardless of the PC's battery. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem? 

Someone else will say it if I don't...  You DO NOT want to use a combination modem / router porvided by the cable company.  For the BEST performance, you want a stand-alone MODEM, and you want to supply your own STAND-ALONE Wireless Router with large antennas on it, which you and only you have control over.  The cable copany can get their hands into the router and change settings, possible not for the best (for you.)

That being written, what did you have before?

And can you acheive steady, fast connections when your laptops are plugged directly into a router LAN port?

It could be interference from a neighbor on the same wireless channel(s).  It could also be mucked wireless settings in your router.

Expert

Re: WiFi keeps dropping or won't connect on Windows 7 & 8

for a start, the DHCP lease is probably set for 30 minutes or an hour.. It should be set for a day.

Next issue is you need to post the signal and log pages so we can see what's causing the dropouts. If the wireless is showing interference on channels 1,6 or 11, lock it on ch 3 or 8.

See if that helps.

If there's signal level issues on the coax side that even compounds problems.

Good luck with the all in one device in a congested enviornment or where there's intermittent coaxial issues.