Contributor

Upload speed on my new Spectrum modem is ridiculously slow?

Hi, sorry for all the postings, but i need to get this switch over from TWC to Spectrum ironed  out. Now, a cable modem test from my main computer says my  download speed is around 70mbps but my upload only 1.45, wow, that is really slow, slower than my older one that I had for years. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can get it up to a decent upload config, OK, thanks for listening, will wait for your assistance, DR

11 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Upload speed on my new Spectrum modem is ridiculously slow?

We need some details.

Where is the modem in relation to splitters and amps? What modem/router? Testing wired or wifi? What package are you paying for? Any background app running (cloud updates, backups, etc.)? Post your signal levels and event log.

Contributor

Hi, my modem is Linksys E2000. I just got switched over from TWC to Spectrum.  I do have to tell you that the modem they sent me had a wireless set up in it but they turned it off.  Last night also, Julia R told me to check if it was nat or bridged. The tech checked and it is bridged.

So, what could be going on, maybe this cable modem is having some problems, but my wireless connection is really poor also, barely working, but all the wired stuff fine. I know I don't upload stuff much but I just recorded a new song so will have to put it up  Soundclick or Soundcloud soon, so please help, thanks, DR

Contributor

Oh, spent the last hour trying to figure  out how to get signal levels  and post them. I believe that when someone who has never attempted any research like this, please tell us how to go about it, thanks, appreciate it,

Established Sharer

For signal levels, try 192.168.1.1,  192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1.

If your modem is bridged then it is sending the signal directly to the Linksys router where you probably have the problem, barring any signal issue. What speeds are you paying for?

Do a test by connecting your computer directly to the modem. What speeds do you get?  Is this the same as a test when wired directly to the router?

Lead Moderator

So that we are clear. Your hardwired speed that you report is fine is hardwired directly to the modem or directly wired to your router. 

The key bit of information here is what speeds up and down are you getting directly to the modem? You would want to directly connect one computer, making sure all else is unplugged, to the modem. Unplug the power to the modem for 30 seconds and then plug that back in.

If your tests to the modem are good and you are only seeing issues via your router you would want to look into that further. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Expert

An E2000 is not a modem, it's a router with wireless.

Need the modems signal level and error log pages as well as a tracert to google.com as requested in the other thread you started.

Contributor

Well, the support came today and checked everything. He spent over an hour. He checked the outside lines, which he set up the last time around 5 years ago, great, grounding in cellar, great. even took back all my old equipment, wow, that would have been a major hassle for me because I don't have a car.

After checking out the modem sent in the EZ connect kit, the one with the wireless on it, but turned off, all seemed to work well, but, ready, download speed still 1.5mbps. So, he decided to change out the cable modem for one with internet and phone, much smaller than that huge one they sent me, thank you, TWC or Spectrum. Well, another ready, 70mbps down, not even 1.0 upload speed, Verdict, something is really wrong somewhere.  Could be the Linksys router, E2000, and he even said older computers  affect connectivity.

So, back to sqaure one, what else can I do? I write songs and occasionall have to upload some, well, that would be really slow, HELP< thanks for all the previous assistance, any info appreciated, DR

Expert

After you installed the latest modem, did you reset the linksys to factory default and thenautodetect WAN settings?

Still need to see the signal level and error log pages. I don't believe everything the techs claim "is good" and nothing that phone support says...

A tracert to google.com may show routing/ LAN-wan issues.

Are you running cloud, Itune sync, dropbox, onedrive or win 10?

Numerous bandwidth hogs that need to be turned off.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Note that this old economy router is deceptively labeled as "Dual-Band Gigabit," but only one radio band can be manually selected at a time.  Further, the max OTA speed is "up to 300 MBps," but that's only on the 5 GHz band; 84 Mbps is actual top speed for 2.4 GHz but the default is 42.

It includes a basic QoS system that Cisco calls WiFi MultiMedia (WMM) which can assign up to four priority levels based on type of traffic and port forwarding.  This feature MUST be disabled while running the SpeedTest application.