Rookie

Upgraded to new modem and now slower speed or dropped connection on one laptop

Hi there -- I upgraded from one customer owned modem (Motorola SB6141) to another (Motorola MB7420).

Modem is connected to Apple Airport Extreme.  That appears fine.

I've got 2 laptops running fine and getting speeds of 70/5 (I have a 50/5) plan.  My iPhone gets the same speeds.  

I've got a 3rd laptop that was working fine with old modem, but connectivity either cuts out all together, or slows to a crawl (1 / 5).  I've reset modem (both turning everything off and via the Spectrum website option to "Reset My Modem" under My account > Trouble Shoot > Modem

After I've turned it off, I occasionally get higher speeds, but am currently getting about 20/5 on the laptop and the others are getting 70/5

This laptop works great on my Spectrum internet at my office where I'm getting speeds of 200 or 300.  So I don't think it's the laptop.

What do you suggest I do next to try to figure this out?

I noticed others with this modem have posted error logs.  In the past I've been able to access the modem (192.168.100.1) -- but I'm getting an error message while doing so:

safari can't open page because server unexpectedly dropped connection.

-- though I can access it from my phone (on wifi) or from another laptop.

That's strange, no?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Upgraded to new modem and now slower speed or dropped connection on one laptop

You don't have a modem problem, you likely have a problem with how your laptop is connected to the router.

Is the 3rd laptop direct connected to the modem, direct connected to the Airport, or connected via wifi to the Airport? If it's connected to the modem, it's wrong.

Lead Moderator

Re: Upgraded to new modem and now slower speed or dropped connection on one laptop

The first thing I would suggest is bypassing your router and connecting 

just that laptop to the modem for testing. 

If you are getting the speeds you should be directly connected there 

would be an issue with the router. 

let us know what you get.  You can also post some additional information 

that would help found here: DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

What speeds are you subscribed to? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Spectrum Employee

@FelixKrull wrote:

safari can't open page because server unexpectedly dropped connection.

-- though I can access it from my phone (on wifi) or from another laptop.

That's strange, no?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Not strange, and I have a few suggestions, yes -- to add to what Julia just said.

Apple pushed out an update that somehow seems to have broken the NAT handling for several of their AirPort Extreme routers, known issue.  Factory resetting the AirPort router will mostly fix that, according to Apple that is THE fix, and you'd simply have to redo the SSID & key for WiFi.  Symptoms do include inability to access 192.168.100.1

It's also very telling that some not all devices are affected.  This is a red flag that it's the router causing issues not the modem, if it were the modem it'd be all devices having trouble accessing IP addresses and having slow speed and you just told us two of your devices were "fine" and pulling 70 Mbps down by 5 Mbps up.

Another possibility which should be tested is if the WiFi NIC of that specific device is affected and only that device.   Maybe it's just a bad NIC inside just that one device?  Is there another reliable WiFi network that you can test and compare against, with other devices as the control and this problem devices as the experiment?

And to have the community here comment more on the modem itself, need at least it's error log (with HFC MAC preferrably) and signal level report pages.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Sharer

Wi-Fi can be flaky, if that is how you are connecting that laptop. The 2.4ghz band can be affected by all kinds of devices... microwaves, cell phones, wireless phones, Bluetooth, game consoles (wireless controllers), all kinds of things can generate noise in the 2.4ghz spectrum. 5ghz doesn't fair well going through some construction materials either, so if you are on different floors or otherwise pass through too many walls, it can get unstable as well.

Best practice is to always try a direct connect via Ethernet to see if things get better. If it does, can try relocation or changing the channel and/or channel bonding (20, 40, 80, 160 mhz channel widths), or switching between 2.4/5ghz bands.

Wi-Fi is just wierd like that sometimes... the better options are not always what you would expect them to be.
Spectrum Employee

@RAIST5150 wrote:
Wi-Fi can be flaky, if that is how you are connecting that laptop. The 2.4ghz band can be affected by all kinds of devices... microwaves, cell phones, wireless phones, Bluetooth, game consoles (wireless controllers), all kinds of things can generate noise in the 2.4ghz spectrum. 5ghz doesn't fair well going through some construction materials either, so if you are on different floors or otherwise pass through too many walls, it can get unstable as well.

Best practice is to always try a direct connect via Ethernet to see if things get better. If it does, can try relocation or changing the channel and/or channel bonding (20, 40, 80, 160 mhz channel widths), or switching between 2.4/5ghz bands.

Wi-Fi is just wierd like that sometimes... the better options are not always what you would expect them to be.

Amen to that.  Well said.

Also unless they just changed it recently, Apple Airport firmware doesn't let you choose the channel bonding on the 5.0 GHz bands.  They make it "simplified" from a software, which has pro's and con's.  (Pro being that Apple's software is easier to use for the non-tech-savvy, Con being their software is often frustratingly limiting for when you need/want access to more advanced features)

I also want to clarify, that odds are it's just that ONE device only, if the all the other devices are working fine.  From what @FelixKrull wrote, that seems to be the case, for now at least.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

He did say that his laptop works well at work reaching 200-300 on wireless at work.

That leads me to believe it is the router at fault here. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Hi Julia, thanks for your reply.

>The first thing I would suggest is bypassing your router and connecting 

>just that laptop to the modem for testing.    If you are getting the speeds you should be ? >directly connected there  would be an issue with the router.    let us know what you get. 

I bypassed Airport Extreme router and plugged directly into the modem and I'm getting 70/5 -- so it's working fine that way!

> What speeds are you subscribed to?  

Spectrum Extreme Internet (which I believe is supposed to be 50/5)

You can also post some additional information 

that would help found here: DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

Yes, I will gather this.  Thanks.

edited: for clarity

Rookie

Wi-Fi can be flaky, if that is how you are connecting that laptop.

Yes.  All of our connections (including the good ones and the one slow one) are via Wi-Fi.  (edit:  I found out I was able to get very good speed by bypassing router and plugging directly into modem as suggested)

The 2.4ghz band can be affected by all kinds of devices... microwaves, cell phones, wireless phones, Bluetooth, game consoles (wireless controllers), all kinds of things can generate noise in the 2.4ghz spectrum. 5ghz doesn't fair well going through some construction materials either, so if you are on different floors or otherwise pass through too many walls, it can get unstable as well.

I used the app WiFi Explorer (which several people suggested on the Apple forums), and it monitors signal strength.  Both signals (2,4 and 5) are strong through the area where I'm having problems.

Best practice is to always try a direct connect via Ethernet to see if things get better.

Yes it does better.  Indeed, the change in speed is remarkably faster by plugging the laptop in quesiton directly intot he modem.  I get the same speed as I used to get with the old modem and as I'm currently getting with all other machines and iphones:  70 down / 5 up.

Now, I've hooked up wifi again (and unplugged modem and airport extreme) and I'm getting very fast speeds again (70/5).  

This happened when I tried this a few days ago (i.e. hooked up to modem directly with cat6 cable, then unplugged direct connection to modem.  And then, via wifi, again I got normal speeds).  This lasted for a few hours.  And then next day it was back to being slow.  On this one particular notebook only.

I will see if tomorrow, we're back to the same old slow speeds.

If it does, can try relocation

Yes, no change in speed (or very little) when I moved locations throughout the house on any of the notebooks.  And particularly on the poorly performing notebook in quesiton:   I was getting 5 down and 1 (or less) up yesterday no matter where I was in the house.

or changing the channel and/or channel bonding (20, 40, 80, 160 mhz channel widths), or switching between 2.4/5ghz bands.

Don't know how to do these things but I'll check it out.

Thanks.  Until I hooked up this new modem, I had (As far as I know) the exact same set up and no problems.

Rookie

Apple pushed out an update that somehow seems to have broken the NAT handling for several of their AirPort Extreme routers, known issue.  Factory resetting the AirPort router will mostly fix that, according to Apple that is THE fix, and you'd simply have to redo the SSID & key for WiFi.  Symptoms do include inability to access 192.168.100.1

Thanks a lot for this info.  I will try resetting the the Airport Extreme.  

It's also very telling that some not all devices are affected.  This is a red flag that it's the router causing issues not the modem,   if it were the modem it'd be all devices having trouble accessing IP addresses and having slow speed and you just told us two of your devices were "fine" and pulling 70 Mbps down by 5 Mbps up.

Another possibility which should be tested is if the WiFi NIC of that specific device is affected and only that device.   Maybe it's just a bad NIC inside just that one device? 

I don't know what this is but I'll google it and check.

Is there another reliable WiFi network that you can test and compare against, with other devices as the control and this problem devices as the experiment?

Yes, I tried on another Spectrum network (I have 200 down at my office).  And both the slow laptop in question (that isn't getting the 50/5 at home) and another machine I have at the house (that runs fine  at at least 50/5 and sometimes 70/5) run fine.

And to have the community here comment more on the modem itself, need at least it's error log (with HFC MAC preferrably) and signal level report pages.

Yes, I will get the error pages.   What is "signal level report" and where I can find it.

By the way, I was able about a week ago to access info on the modem itself by going to:  http://192.168.100.1  -- but now I can't access with the laptop.  I get this message:

https://imgur.com/s2ulfQy

But I am able to access it on my iphone or another laptop that doesn't have this speed deficiency.