Newcomer

Upgraded to 400Mbps and can't get a straight answer from anyone about why there's no difference

tl;dr Upgraded to  Ultra. Tech no show. Latest excuse is "Modem Provisioning" has to be done manually by a tech. What gives?

I was on Spectrum's 100Mbps plan (getting ~110-120Mbps) and got a flyer on Friday 400Mbps was available.

I checked the approved modems for 400Mbps and purchased a Arris SB6190 which should be more than capable of 400Mbps.

1st Contact-

On the phone I activated my modem with the wrong MAC even though we confirmed

2nd Contact-

Reactivated Modem. Transfered to Sales for Ultra upgrade. Call was disconnected before we even discussed price.

3rd Contact-

Turns out the Sales lady went ahead with upgrading me.. she even scheduled a tech visit. I asked why the tech had to come out since I had my own modem and was told the SB6190 isn't compatible. Was transfered to Tech Support that agreed with me it was. Transferred back to Sales to ask again why the tech is coming out and was told "To Upgrade equipment on our end, but they'll go ahead and activate my modem"

4th Contact-

That appointment came and went. No show. I missed work for this appoint (not a huge deal, but come on). Got transfered a few times and was told "The problem is fixed." asking what the issue was I got a response "The work order was still open. I closed it." of course I had to ask if the work actually got done and the response was "Of course. I'm resetting your modem right now it will get the full speed."

5th Contact-

Having gone through everything again I got told the issue this time is with my Modem not being provisioned and a tech has to come out to provision it. I inquired, because my understanding is provisioning is activation and I am already activated just not at the right speed. He insisted a tech had to make changes to my modem to get the speed and that's where I'm at right now.

So I ask: What gives? Which story is correct, where do I stand, etc?

Happy to post any diagnostic information if it helps.

7 REPLIES
Valued Participant

Re: Upgraded to 400Mbps and can't get a straight answer from anyone about why there's no difference

return the 6190 and use their free modem. both use puma 6 anyway.
Expert

Re: Upgraded to 400Mbps and can't get a straight answer from anyone about why there's no difference

Don't reset the modem... Copy and paste both the signal level and the event/error log pages... Hopefully there is meaninfull data there.

What router are you using? Did you reset it to autodetect WAN settings when you put in the new modem?

What speeds are you actually getting?

Test without the router in line for a start

Spectator

Spongebober, I, too, would like to see your internal modem information and model.  Are you getting a IPv6 connection?  Did you get one on the 6190?  I have a Technicolor TC8717T (recommended by MsRaye).  It only has 16 channels enabled for DL but works great on 200 Mbps and I suspect it would work on 400 Mbps as well.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

I too had a tech visit yesterday to upgrade my service to Ultra 400. The tech showed up, saw that I have a customer owned modem (also a 6190 and on the approved for 400 tier list), called the office to confirm that it is able to be provisioned for that tier, and was told by that person that it indeed is capable but that they were having technical issues with not only customer owned modems but handed out modems as well. He left saying that he didn't want to do anything that would screw with my existing service (which I agreed) and they would reschedule once the issues they are having get fixed.

Well...not 10 minutes later my modem rebooted and viola! I now have 400/20 service on my customer owned SB6190. For the life of me I don't understand the point of the tech visit. The tech literally did nothing except get on the phone with the office when he arrived.

Expert

They need to get all the crap off the lines, corroded connectors, splitters, etc.

All that degrades both the customer and everyone else on the node.

Proven Sharer

Yeah I suppose there could be a need for someone to physically check everything periodically, but none of that was done.  It helps that all my connections are a couple of years old and not 25.

Valued Participant

In June of 2017 I was still on a twc package paying $10 a month for a modem. I bought a Netgear Cm600(24x8 modem) to get rid of the $10 fee.  IPv6 always worked here. 

I switched to SPP pricing In October and still use the Netgear @ 100mbps d/10mbps u

Arris tm1602 is the main modem Spectrum hands out for 400mbps.

I'm not going to try to get the 400mbps plan

when 200mbps comes here  I shouldn't have to do anything.   As long as the netgear cm600 doesn't die it will handle all upgrades until gigabit becomes the base speed(like that's ever going to happen).   I would just use their TC4400 technicolor if ever got gigabit (940mb down 35 up)