Unbalanced Internet speeds ..

[ Edited ]

Hello community,

I have just signed (back) up with TWC due to a promotion they were having in my area. I am using a TC8717T model router on a Asus CM 1730 (up-to-date) desktop PC .. Now I know by getting a 'deal' I am not getting the fullest potential that TWC offers when it comes to internet access, but I was always under the assumption that LAN connections was always supposed to be  faster than Wi-Fi connections under the right conditions .. With that said, I am stumpted. On any phone, I can get download speeds up to 750/kbps (.750/mbps) but when connected to my PC (with nothing running in background) I can only download at a max of 52.0/kbps (.052/mbps) (results from https://www.google.com/#q=internet+speed+test&* ). Please let me know if maybe it is a PC issue or something I can due via admin settings in the router to boost the download speeds. Thanks in advanced everyone.

iNF357ed

James Wolford

5 REPLIES

Re: Unbalanced Internet speeds ..

I have taken screen shots of two different speed tests. One from Google and the other from TWC itself ..

Screen shot of Google test

Screen Shot of TWC test

Established Sharer

What speeds are you paying for? How is your PC connected (wireless or direct wired to router or modem)? What is the wiring setup of the house (splitters, amps, etc.)? Post the signal levels and log from your modem.

Expert

Your computer is probably infected with malware/viruses or something that's eating all your bandwidth, need the requested modem pages as well.

It's unusual to see 1:1 speeds, looks like somethings set for 10 base and has bad cables as well.

iNF357ed,
Please refer to the following link for instructions on troubleshooting your internet connection:
http://bit.ly/1LbUO6T.  If you complete these steps and find that issue has not be resolved, you can contact a support agent directly via the following private LINK. Please include your account number or the phone number associated with your account in the message and we will be happy to further assist. 

-Melissa O.

Spectrum Community Forum Moderator

Established Sharer

iNF357ed wrote:

Hello community,

*** (QUOTE EDITED) ***

I am using a TC8717T model router on a Asus CM 1730 (up-to-date) desktop PC .. ...  I was always under the assumption that LAN connections was always supposed to be  faster than Wi-Fi connections under the right conditions .. With that said, I am stumpted. On any phone, I can get download speeds up to 750/kbps (.750/mbps) but when connected to my PC (with nothing running in background) I can only download at a max of 52.0/kbps (.052/mbps) (results from https://www.google.com/#q=internet+speed+test&* ). Please let me know if maybe it is a PC issue or something I can due via admin settings in the router to boost the download speeds.

*** (QUOTE EDITED) ***

iNF357ed

James Wolford

Your assumption applies to accessing the internet (WAN) via WiFi and it is correct, since the WiFi can't ever make your home internet traffic run any faster than the cable connection or the computer itself.  However WiFi or wired devices can talk to each other at a higher speed.

Using only the limited bits of information you've provided and the connection speeds you are reporting, I suggest:

DHCP not set correctly in the router and computer, OR

you may have a severe cable problem which can't be fixed within the hardware.  We need more information including the signal level and event report pages to dig deeper. 

**** DATA TO POST TO GET HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY **

Your note says you are checking your speed through Google.  That's not valid here, since Google is located outside the TWC transport network.  Therefore you are measuring all the outside web connections as well as TWC itself.  You do need to use only the official TWC speedtest site when checking speed of your TWC service.