Browser

Ubee Spectrum WIFI Router Causing PS4 Pro Dualshock 4 Controller Issues

[ Edited ]

I'm having a strange issue that i hope someone can help me figure out.  It's worth noting that prior to getting the UBEE Spectrum Router, i did NOT ever have this problem before so it's not my PS4 Pro or my controller with the issue.

I have my PS4 Pro connected wired to my UBEE router via ethernet cable.  At random times while playing my games, my controller will suddenly become unresponsive and act like it's receiving intereference somehow.  I'll move my right stick, and the camera will jump really fast like i did i full turn, when i in fact did not.   I'll hit a button, and it doesn't respond....requiring me to hit it again before it does.  The best way to describe the feeling is that it feels like interference and that all my button presses and control stick movements are delayed.

Upon looking into this online, i've found others who had the same issue and they were able to resolve it by changing the WIFI channel on their router to 1 or 11.  Oddly enough this does work, and temporarily fixes the problem.  I've found though that after a week or so the issue returns and i have to again go into my router settings and change the WIFI channel  (for non 5G) to 1 or 11 and then when i do, the issue instantly goes away.

This is really frustrating me, and i'm hoping someone else has encountered this or knows how to fix it.

28 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Ubee Spectrum WIFI Router Causing PS4 Pro Dualshock 4 Controller Issues

Is the router or another wifi device sitting right next to the PS4 or do you have wifi devices near the controller? Can you lock the router to channel 1 or 11 so it doesn't scan?

Browser

The router is probably around 2 to 3 feet to the right of the PS4 on the floor where the PS4 Pro is on a shelf above it to the left.  The other devices that are there are my Roku 2 box (connected via ethernet to the router), and my tv which has WIFI, but i disabled it suspecting that perhaps that interference from that was the culprit somehow, yet it still didn't solve the problem.  Within the router settings, i have the channel selected to 1 at the moment, but is there another setting i need to change to stop it from scanning like you mention?

I never had this issue at all with my old Time Warner Cable router and i had the exact same setup.  The issue only started when Spectrum sent me the UBEE router, so it's gotta be something with that.

Sharer

What model Ubee is it? Maybe someone here with the same model will have a better knowledge of that modem's menu settings.

Browser

Ubee Router, Model DDW36C

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

michael_s wrote:

Within the WiFi section of the SetUp menu you can and should lock the 2.4 GHz radio to a specific channel.  From the Ubee user guide:

"Set to Auto by default, the Wireless Channel selects a specific
channel to deploy the wireless network. This allows you to set
the operating frequency/channel depending on your particular
region. Channel selection can have an impact on wireless
networking performance. For more information, refer to
Selecting a Wireless Channel on page 90.
The current channel is displayed as well as the interference
level."

It also helps to have the router at least eight feet away from the gaming console.

Expert

If it's that close there is no reason NOT to run an ethernet cable and eliminate the wireless completely.

next issue is to make sure cloud, itune sync, drop box or one drive aren't running on this or anortther machine and hoarding all your bandwidth.

You could also have a signal isssue, copy and paste the signal level and error log pages at least an hour after this resets

Browser

karlbeckman wrote:

michael_s wrote:

Within the WiFi section of the SetUp menu you can and should lock the 2.4 GHz radio to a specific channel.  From the Ubee user guide:

"Set to Auto by default, the Wireless Channel selects a specific
channel to deploy the wireless network. This allows you to set
the operating frequency/channel depending on your particular
region. Channel selection can have an impact on wireless
networking performance. For more information, refer to
Selecting a Wireless Channel on page 90.
The current channel is displayed as well as the interference
level."

It also helps to have the router at least eight feet away from the gaming console.

I have the router channel for the 2.4 range manually set to channel 1, and not auto.  I had changed it to 11 from auto originally to correct the issue, but the problem came back and the only way to fix it was to again change the router channel to 1.

Browser

I do have it hardwired by Ethernet directly to the router. I mentioned that in my original post....which makes this issue all the more baffling.

I will grab the signal level and error logs next time I have the issue.
Sharer

The interference is due to 2.4 ghz wifi and bluetooth using the same frequency, albeit usually different channels as you find out when you switch the router to channel 1 or 11. I'm puzzled as to why your router won't stay locked onto that channel instead of you having to go back in a week or so and redo it. I wonder if the router periodically resets itself to it's default settings? This might be the case since you are using an all-in-one leased from TWC. If it becomes a really serious concern you're only remedy may be turning off wifi completely in the all-in-one and getting your own stand alone router that TWC won't have access to change the settings.