Not applicable

To whomst does the "Free Modem" apply?

Hello!

My old modem died, rest in peace.

I have the 200mbps Spectrum internet-only plan. Do I have to pay a modem lease fee? 

Best,

Chris

7 REPLIES
Browser

Re: To whomst does the "Free Modem" apply?

call c/s

Proven Sharer

You have the option to purchase your own modem, router, and WiFi and avoid paying  a monthly charge.  The modem should be on Spectrum's list of approved devices as rated for the fastest speed tier you anticipate using in the next 24 months.   For a list of approved cable modems that can be used with TWC/Spectrum Internet service, please visit their Approved Customer Device List page. 

Keep in mind that one of the risks associated with purchasing your own modem and router units is that they may become technically obsolete and/or unable to support new features or speeds that are introduced in the future.  One of the offsetting benefits is that you will have exclusive access to and control of settings on a standalone router. 

If you have Spectrum service and not a grandfathered plan there is no modem fee. We encourage you to contact our Social Media Customer Care team at Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum or
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum  we can check what service you have to see if you would need to pay the modem fee or not. 

Tyleen
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Participant

To WHOM? No Spectrum customer pays for a modem (or has a data cap), it was a very specific condition of the government allowing them to exist/replace Time Warner.

They will, however, charge you $5 to enable wifi, so make sure they leave that off and use your own like a sane person.

Helper

@r-o wrote:

To WHOM? No Spectrum customer pays for a modem (or has a data cap), it was a very specific condition of the government allowing them to exist/replace Time Warner.

They will, however, charge you $5 to enable wifi, so make sure they leave that off and use your own like a sane person.

If you haven't made the switch to a Spectrum plan and are still on an old TWC plan there is a modem fee.

Spectator

i always thought they would kick everyone off the legacy twc plan and move them to spectrum, i dont remember there being an adelphia legacy plan..?

Helper

@slinkywrench wrote:

i always thought they would kick everyone off the legacy twc plan and move them to spectrum, i dont remember there being an adelphia legacy plan..?

Eventually they may force people off their TWC plans by forced migrations, but more likely they will just keep raising the price of old plans to the point that 99% of customers make the switch on their own. There will always be those that don't care what they pay as long as nothing changes.