Newcomer
tinyrapier
Accepted Solution

TWC internet all around sucks

[ Edited ]

I am a signature home customer and my TWC internet all around sucks.  I have their top tier connection and have had so many issues with connectivity and speed I went and bought a new computer thinking it would resolve the issues (since I was re-assured it couldn't be TWC).  No change.  I just tried to get online chat help and there were "technical problems" which kicked me out of the chat.  What are we paying for?

Browser
osnu1008

Re: TWC internet all around sucks

It might be maintence work being caused around your area, but to be on the safe side, call them and have them bring a tech to your house, I was having the same problem, and I think i still do, but today, they told me that It was because there was upgrades being done in my area for Better speeds, You might be getting upgrades too. Just relax and call them up. I know it's frusturating, believe me, I doubt with this problem for three months and NOW i got it fixed. But I'm just waiting for the Faster Service, TWC Rules, Don't switch.

H4ck3r
Newcomer
enderby

I had real similar problems. My main cause was the wire from the street.  After 22 years underground it needed replacing. Also there were old rusty splitters in the line under the house.  When they replaced all that the speed and connectivity was fixed - that was two years ago.    

If you have a cable tv box unplug it and see how long it takes to reboot.  Before the fix mine took at least 15 minutes, afterwards about 2.

good luck, I know how you feel. 

Spectator
ilovebeer

I have TWC 30/5 service and I don't have any of the problems you describe. First, are you using wireless or hard line straight to your computer. If you are using wireless are you using TWC's provided all in one modem or your own for wireless. If yuo are using wireless where is the modem located inside your home and how large is your home?

Newcomer
Kroozin

I have a new house with new internet connectivity and my connection also stinks so I can't blame cabling. If was fine when I first moved into my house last month but since then I've had to replace the modem and got a Motorola Surfboard as a replacement.  At the same I replaced the modem I also changed from the 30/5MB down to Turbo (20MB/2MB) which should be fine for my uses (VOIP telephony, streaming Netflix / Roku / Apple once in a while) but's it not working out that way.  

I'm showing that whe I use TWC's speedtest tool I can get 20/2MB speeds but I'm just guessing that's just because I'm staying on their network connecting from my house to their hub.  When I use a 3rd party "outside" speed test I've gotten anywhere from 15/1.3MB on DSLreports down to less than 2/2MB on some others.  In real-world uses I am seeing those slower speeds. Not sure what's been happening lately but my VoIP service has been sounding horrible and even with ethernet run throughout my whole house I'm having throughput issues with some devices on the network.  When I connect directly to the Surfboard modem via wi-fi it's even worse.  It'll work for a minute and then I'll get no internet at all.  

I'm checking into these issues but I'm having real issues with TWC.  I might have to go back to 30/5 and then hope that fixes these issues.  This net is just way too sloooow (even at 20/2MB!!!)...  

Newcomer
fyreous

My complaint with TWC really comes down to cost, though performance is an issue a bit too. I moved out to NC recently from Reno, Nevada - where the cable provider there (Charter) only charged me $30/month, unbundled, flat-rate for 30/5 service (and that included a modem as well!).

Here, TWC wants over twice the money for a similar offering.

Anyways, I bought the Turbo (20/2) from TWC thinking it would meet my needs. However, even with a screaming-fast new Motorola SB6141 modem, I still only can measure between 12 - 17mbit downstream on any given day. And sometimes - frequently actually - while streaming Netflix or AppleTV, the video will just stop to buffer for no reason at all - like the connection chokes for a bit. I never thought I'd say it... but boy, do I miss Charter!

TWC - it would be awesome if you would drop your rates a bit, to be more in line with practically every other provider in the nation. Especially for an area as densely-populated and high-tech as RTP.

Rookie
kik0

Service is not the best and the prices are outrageos.. If I lived two blocks away I could get fiber from GVTC...  I constantly get T4 timeouts and my modem reboots... since TWC WON'T update the firmware on that modem to a newer one.. The newer one 1.0.6.takes care of the reboot issue... 

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH

I bet they are doing it on purpose so that I have to pay to lease an 8 year old modem....  All this results in corrupt downloads and more data usage...

Modem rebooted while I was typing.. WTF!!?!?!?! 

TWC Employee
MegaMasterX

kik0 wrote:

Service is not the best and the prices are outrageos.. If I lived two blocks away I could get fiber from GVTC...  I constantly get T4 timeouts and my modem reboots... since TWC WON'T update the firmware on that modem to a newer one.. The newer one 1.0.6.takes care of the reboot issue... 

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH

I bet they are doing it on purpose so that I have to pay to lease an 8 year old modem....  All this results in corrupt downloads and more data usage...

Modem rebooted while I was typing.. WTF!!?!?!?! 

TWC uses the firmware revisions it does because they have been tested to be most stable on the TWC network. 1.0.6.8 doesn't resolve the reboot issue, though the T4 timeout issue is rumored to be fixed on that based on small patch notes found with a bit of Google Magic. Since there isn't a 100% accurate 'changelog' we can't tell what is added or fixed in firmware revisions.

Rest assured that the firmware revision is the most stable and well-performing on our network. If you continue to have issues, and are using a personally-owned modem, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for further troubleshooting.

Newcomer
Oscar70

I hate Time Warner!!!! Service sucks and prices are high! I called today at 9am to cancel cable service. The csr kept trying to sell me something, faster internet a cheaper cable service, you name it. She kept insisting that I needed a faster internet service. I told her the one I had was fine. By 11:30 am my internet connection started acting up and slowing down a whole lot. Councidence? Paranoia? Im not sure but Im canceling all services real soon
Newcomer
john_doe

Time warner sucks!!! cant believe we are paying for a service that only works 1/2 the of the month. Bumps u out every time, but still TW decided to block CBS & BTW raise the price?? im done and swiching to Verizon FIOS where I can watch my cowboys games!!! Very dissapionted in this company. :smileysad: