Expert

Re: TWC Ultimate 300 VS Spectrum 60Mbps Plan?

If you have 1 or more devices with marginal signal and the are at the slowest speed of let's say 10 megs, the y slow down everything on that channel, the radio can'toperate on 2 different speeds simultaneously, the radio is onlty simplex, so it can either transmit or receive, not both simultaneously.

Only if you have slow devices on one band and fast ones on the other, will you see those speeds.

This is a common issue when people are trying to use tv, firestick, other wireless devices and why you need to run ethernet wherever possible ESPECIALLY ON TWC TV as it has crappy if any error correction.

Browser

I'm on 300/20 TWC in Brooklyn, NY, and Spectrum to this same building only offers 100/10.

This is deeply frustrating; my bill has gone from $80/month to $110/month (Internet-only; apparently I was getting a $35/month discount for god knows what reason) and so I'd like to look at downgrading.

I'm pretty sure TWC had a 200 Mbps tier. But the only Spectrum offer here is $45/month for 100 Mbps (unspecified upstream, probably 10?), and I'm not willing to go that slow.

Expert

[ Edited ]

300 is actually slower than 100 when gaming... There is no use for 300 service or even 200 on TWC's infrastructure

I seriously doubt you are simultaneously streaming to 10 or more TV's at the same time!

You only need around 10 megs per HD TV

Gaming will not work well on a twc/spectrum 200 or 300 connection because the packet timing is not stable with jitter worst than many individual packets.

Read the state att gen lawsuit info.  or first 6 minutes of the youtube video they put up.

Browser

MsRaye wrote:

300 is actually slower than 100 when gaming... There is no use for 300 service or even 200 on TWC's infrastructure

I seriously doubt you are simultaneously streaming to 10 or more TV's at the same time!

You only need around 10 megs per HD TV

Gaming will not work well on a twc/spectrum 200 or 300 connection because the packet timing is not stable with jitter worst than many individual packets.

Read the state att gen lawsuit info.  or first 6 minutes of the youtube video they put up.

No use? What a peculiar thing to claim. I routinely download things at more than 100 Mb/s, and regularly (until I downgraded, at least) more than 200 Mb/s.  I'd love to see a link to this video or lawsuit, because claiming that there's no use to the 300 or 200 Mb/s tiers is ridiculous, and completely contrary to my experience.

Expert

There is a lawsuit out because you really aren't getting 300 or 200 for any length of time, just short bursts.

MsRaye wrote:

If you have 1 or more devices with marginal signal and the are at the slowest speed of let's say 10 megs, the y slow down everything on that channel, the radio can'toperate on 2 different speeds simultaneously, the radio is onlty simplex, so it can either transmit or receive, not both simultaneously.

Only if you have slow devices on one band and fast ones on the other, will you see those speeds.

This is a common issue when people are trying to use tv, firestick, other wireless devices and why you need to run ethernet wherever possible ESPECIALLY ON TWC TV as it has crappy if any error correction.

This is a bit over-simplistic. It is true that any 802.11-compliant protocol operates using a simplex mechanism between client and wireless gateway (wireless client-to-client is even relayed via the gateway). However, the gateway does individually adjust speed for the client it is actively communicating with. This means you could have a dozen 802.11g devices on your network and still get 802.11n speeds, assuming the 802.11g devices are not transmitting much. When the 802.11g devices are sending or receiving, then during that time the network is running at 802.11g speeds.

Thus if you have several devices, some 802.11g and some 802.11n, all attempting to transmit the same amount of data, the 802.11g devices would use more airtime to transmit, limiting the airtime available to the 802.11n devices and slowing them down. But if the 802.11g devices are largely idle then there is not much difference.

Also note that most of the major 802.11ac speed increases are on the 5GHz band, which 802.11g is not compatible with. In that case 802.11a devices (or even 5GHz 802.11n devices) would have a similar effect. If operating in the 2.4GHz band and you're getting slower than expected speeds, channel selection and obvious 2.4GHz interference (bluetooth, microwaves, wireless cameras, etc) are the first troubleshooting steps.

300Mbps TWC here, and able to pull all of it though 802.11ac, even with 802.11a devices on the network.

Expert

Customers think that wifi is wireless and it's the cure all for those ugly cables... it's not...

You did not add in cordless phones or devices with marginal signals as well as co and adjacent channel interference.

Browser

[ Edited ]

> There is a lawsuit out because you really aren't getting 300 or 200 for any length of time, just short bursts.

Before I downgraded, I would semi-regularly pulled down multi-gigabyte files at a sustained 35-40 MB/s (280-320 Mb/s), so the short bursts seem to have been long enough for my needs. 

I'm not sure what lawsuit you're talking about. I know about the NY AG's lawsuit filed in February, but that makes different claims than you're making about the service.

The NY AG-TWC lawsuit is primarily about (1) leasing deficient modems (ones that couldn't sustain more than 100 Mb/s anyway) (2) misleading claims about Wi-Fi (3) network contention/congestion.

TWC's network was oversold, but that seems weak grounds for a lawsuit; every ISP has network contention at some level or other, because it's simply not economical to offer an uncontended network. The lawsuit's port utilization numbers suggest that the network was approaching its limits, but 80-90% utilization is far from the worst ISP experience I've ever had.

I don't use the TWC modem, and don't use the TWC Wi-Fi. I think TWC is scummy as hell for the modem thing, but they substantially delivered what they promised. I can easily pull a sustained 300 Mb/s over my home 802.11ac network.

I'm certainly not holding my breath in expectation of a reasonable refund or price cut, and frankly, would prefer that Verizon be forced to offer FiOS to my building instead so that Spectrum would have some competition. Verizon promised, but they can't be bothered, preferring instead to blame the landlord.