TWC Ultimate 300 VS Spectrum 60Mbps Plan?

Got an ad in the mail for the Spectrum services.  Household currently using Ultimate 300 Plan with most all devices using Internet wirelessly off of Technicolor Router (rented).  3-4 devices generally running at one time.  PC averages ~40Mbps down speed which is acceptable for me.  Our setup probably sounds suboptimal/abyssmal to many, but it meets our needs.

My question is:  Would "upgrading" to Spectrum 60Mbps in the name of saving a little money significantly stunt our wireless performance?  Would we even notice the change?  I understand we aren't fully utilizing our Internet speeds by primarily running our devices wirelessly, but I don't have enough knowledge to know if we are throwing money away on claims of high speeds or if our current plan in fact helps us considering our household setup (very bogged down Router).  Something tells me we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot and essentially downgrading if we chose a 60 Mbps plan and we'd notice it right away.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

17 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: TWC Ultimate 300 VS Spectrum 60Mbps Plan?

You will get some technical responses and the "never use wireless" responses, but first I'm wondering if you even get the 300 Mbps you're paying for now and all of your devices eat up bandwidth or if all you get is ~40 due bad wiring or signal problems.  Have you speed tested using a direct wired setup or only on wifi?

If all is good with your connection, you may notice a slight drop in web page loading times but nothing significant unless you have several HD or 4K video streams running at once.

Another consideration if switching to Spectrum...the plans include the modem fee in the price but add on a wifi fee unless you have them deactivate it. I would recommend at least getting a separate router with lots of external antennas.

Boz
Sharer

I can't tell you what would happen in your specific case if you make the described change, but if you are paying for 300Mbps but only getting 40Mbps, that sounds pretty horrible to me!

I can tell you that I recently upgraded from 15Mbps to 30Mbps, mostly because that was the special I was offered to get my monthly rate back down to where it had been when it increased by 50%.  Either 15Mbps or 30Mbps are sufficient for our needs.  We have 5 Rokus, 6 computers, 3 tablets, and 6 cell phones using WiFi, but not all at the same time.  Usual simultaneous WiFi load for us is 1 or 2 Rokus, 2 laptops, and 3 cell phones.

When we had 15Mbps service, speed tests over WiFi using https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/speed-test.html always showed download speeds of over 15Mbps.  Now with the 30Mbps service, speed tests using the above link over WiFi always show download speeds of between 26Mbps to just over 30Mbps and upload speeds are always over 5Mbps.

So, if you are only getting upload speeds of 40Mbps while paying for 300Mbps service, your setup definitely has some problem(s) that needs to be fixed!  If you can get those problem fixed, and if you can save significant money by downgrading to 60Mbps, I'd say that's something that you should pursue!

Established Sharer

The sales guys probably "forgot" to mention that Spectrum also charges a $199 one-time installation fee, and the new monthly rates are ONLY for new subscribers.  No loyalty bonus or discount for long-time TWC customers. 

Browser

[ Edited ]

While the $199 fee IS most definitely a (edited) charge for absolutely nothing, it should be noted that it is only charged to people wanting the 100/10 service.

Also, the 'new' rates are definitely available to current customers. In the past week I've upgraded multiple people (parents, non tech savvy friends, a couple elderly neighbors I help out) with no trouble, about 5 minutes per account. The rates themselves arent really supposed to change, the speed tiers do, so what was previously 44.99 for 20/2 is now 60/5 for the same price. SImply using the chat function and telling the rep you want to switch to Spectrum is all it takes.

Sharer

[ Edited ]

r-o wrote:

While the $199 fee IS most definitely a (edited) charge for absolutely nothing, it should be noted that it is only charged to people wanting the 100/10 service.

@r-o It should be noted that speed tiers available differ depending on what region you are located. For most non-Maxx upgraded areas, 100/10 is Spectrum Ultra, in Maxx areas 300/20 is Ultra.

Expert

You people trying to run everything wireless need to realize WIFI WAS NEVER INTENDED FOR STREAMING and SHOULD NEVER BE USED  for it, period!

That is probably most your speed issue.

WIRELESS MUST set itself to the SLOWEST device to work with all devices. and depending on radio modules, you may be limited to 54 meg max on all devices even if some have AC compatable modules in them.

the 199 one time "upgrade" price is for supposedly the 200 and 300 meg speeds but people have been quoted the same for 100 megs...Woman Sad

50 megs with 3 devices streaming HD video is going to be about it. You need to use ethernet to TV's and whatever fixed location computers you have and MUST check the real speed on a real wired connection with 1000 based ports and a cat 5e or cat 6 jumper cable. All other devices must be off.

Newcomer

If you have a 300mbps package and your speed tests are showing 40, you have a major issue somewhere that needs to be addressed before you switch plans.
I would turn off any wireless devices in your house except the PC you do your speed test with, then test and see if that made a difference. If not, use a different PC keeping everything else off. If same results you'll need to do a wired speed test and see if there's any difference at all. If not, I would request a new modem. I would also shut off the wifi on that modem and get a decent wireless router to use for your wifi.

One of the replies said wifi wasn't meant for streaming, I totally disagree with that. It's used constantly for streaming nowadays and increasingly more. You've got to make sure your wireless devices can handle the higher speeds though or they will be a bottleneck.
Boz
Sharer

[ Edited ]

I want to reiterate and clarify my post above that WiFi works fine for streaming video in our house, and that the speed test over WiFi results I posted above were performed while no streaming was going on, but there may have been casual surfing happening on other devices while running those speed tests.

Newcomer

MsRaye wrote:

You people trying to run everything wireless need to realize WIFI WAS NEVER INTENDED FOR STREAMING and SHOULD NEVER BE USED  for it, period!

That is probably most your speed issue.

WIRELESS MUST set itself to the SLOWEST device to work with all devices. and depending on radio modules, you may be limited to 54 meg max on all devices even if some have AC compatable modules in them.

the 199 one time "upgrade" price is for supposedly the 200 and 300 meg speeds but people have been quoted the same for 100 megs...Woman Sad

50 megs with 3 devices streaming HD video is going to be about it. You need to use ethernet to TV's and whatever fixed location computers you have and MUST check the real speed on a real wired connection with 1000 based ports and a cat 5e or cat 6 jumper cable. All other devices must be off.

Current wifi speeds including Wireless N can do 300mbps. Netflix at its highest (non-4k) bandwidth only uses around 5mbps. 

At home I have a Wireless AC MIMO router and it does 846mbps and with the matching USB adapter I can do 1.3Ghz.

On TWC we have the 300/20 speed and if I do a speedtest I usually test at 350mbps down and 22mbps up and that's on wifi... If I can stream the max of my internet at 350mbps I think I'm perfectly capable of streaming pretty much anything possible on the internet as good as anything stored locally on a NAS or other shared device.

Wireless devices do not drop their speed to the lowest speed device. They handshake each device to get the max speed possible. If you're using a Wireless G adapter you're going to only connect to 54mbps assuming your signal is perfect. If your signal is only 4/5 bars you might drop down to 36mbps to maintain a solid signal. While it is true that devices will connect to their fastest speed the rest of the devices on the same wifi network will continue to connect at their fastest possible speed whatever that may be.