Highlighted

TWC Spectrum blocks free internet APPS

[ Edited ]

I have internet subscription which is not cheap. I stream internet content on a device and do not use a TV service. I watched AMC TWD a few hours ago but then I went to watch another episode and it forced me to select my cable provider. Apparently i made a bad choice because as the tech guy informed me - I will be forced to pay for a full TV subscription package if I want to stream internet content. This content that already has advertisements on it. They make their money from the ads, fine.  My xfinity cable didn't block free AMC but TWC Spectrum expects me to shell out 40-60$+ just to watch something I got for free. What a scummy and greedy policy to block internet from somebody with a

Spectrum internet package. 

3 REPLIES

Re: TWC Spectrum blocks free internet APPS

Does anybody know a workaround to this corporate censorship? Thanks very much.

Expert

Let me see what amc does on a Uverse data only connection... will try it in a day or so...

Sharer

[ Edited ]

teampajamas wrote:

I have internet subscription which is not cheap. I stream internet content on a device and do not use a TV service. I watched AMC TWD a few hours ago but then I went to watch another episode and it forced me to select my cable provider. Apparently i made a bad choice because as the tech guy informed me - I will be forced to pay for a full TV subscription package if I want to stream internet content. This content that already has advertisements on it. They make their money from the ads, fine.  My xfinity cable didn't block free AMC but TWC Spectrum expects me to shell out 40-60$+ just to watch something I got for free. What a scummy and greedy policy to block internet from somebody with a

Spectrum internet package. You guys suck and I'll be shoppng around for a company with more sane policies. Just stick a thumb up there guys don't use the entire fist.

My intuition tells me it is not TWC / Spectrum blocking your viewing,.  It is the content provider / channel.  Each content provider makes deals with various cable / satelitte companies to offer on-demand streaming content.  Pay television networks get revenue from:

1.  Per subscriber fees which is included in your television subscription monthly fee.  They get this wether your watch or not, but get it as long as  you subscribe to the channel.

2.  Ads they sell and show during programs.  The rate is a function of ratings.

One typically cannot watch the programming of a payTV network without paying for a subscription to it, which will likely involve subscribing to multiple channels.  PayTV netowrks don't offer a-la-carte subscriptions.

There are occasions where some networks will offer their content for free.  AMC TWD might have been one of those "freebies" they've thrown out there.

If cost is your main concern, and since you already have an internet connection, you can become a subscriber by to AMC buy subscribribing to SlingTV Orange ($20 / mo) or Blue ($25 / mo).  Each offers a skinny bundle of payTV channels which are slightly different.  Orange favors ESPN / Disney, where Blue favors FOX / NBC.  You can subscribe to both for ($40 / mo).

You can watch on your laptop / computer or other streaming device.  They also have specials where you can get a free Roku (basic model) with a prepaid 3-month sub, or 50% off the top-of-the-line Roku model, or even a discounted AppleTV.

And although the ineternet app itself is free (meaning you don't have to buy the app (like you would a video game or a word processor), you do have to pay for content (via your television subscription) you watch on the app.