Rookie

Suffering From Sudden Slow Internet Speeds

Over the past few days I've suddenly had slower than normal internet speeds.  It can be difficult to watch a video or even load pages.  I have standard which advertises "up to 15" which in the past I've had or even better.  Now it slugs down to 2.5-5.  I feel like this is a ploy on Spectrum's part in order to get people to upgrade their internet speeds.

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Suffering From Sudden Slow Internet Speeds

dkay wrote:

Over the past few days I've suddenly had slower than normal internet speeds.  It can be difficult to watch a video or even load pages.  I have standard which advertises "up to 15" which in the past I've had or even better.  Now it slugs down to 2.5-5.  I feel like this is a ploy on Spectrum's part in order to get people to upgrade their internet speeds.

When TWC says "Up To, they" mean they will deliver at all times at least 80% of your subscribed plan speeds both up and down.  If you have the standard 15-1 plan, that means you can expect 12 Mbps down and 0.8 up.  When speeds fall below that you are entitled to a service outage credit for each day or part of a day it continues.  Some regulaing agencies require 2 days credit for each day of outage, to encourage prompt repair.  They may also be more strict if you have telephone'dial tone' service, including 9-1-1 access.

Valued Participant

First thing they told me when I was complaining about my latency was " you need better internet " I'm now using 30down/ 5 up and still have the same issue ( free upgrade). Don't fall for their lies.

Spectator

[ Edited ]

Ok new to the Forum here I'm in Ralegh NC, I have had TWC for 35 years and NEVER!!! have received the "As Advertized" Internet Speeds (since Internet became available that is), Big

Surprise Right. Hardly, check out the Law Suit that was filed in Buffalo NY Time Warner/Charter/Spectrum, et al.   (  link removed  )   I have been paying for 300Mbps service and never get above 75Mbps Down avg., Up who knows sometimes 2/3 and sometimes 20/25 directly connected to the Router. It is truly disappointing to see all the TWC experts with all the "Jargon" and Do this and Do that, how about they just deliver the signal that is being paid for, is it too much to ask (rhetorical of course). Just check with Ookla using Duke University as Host received 25ms Ping, 25.34 Down and 6.54 Up again paying for 300 Mbps (and YES I fully understand that I will not receive a full 300 Mbps), so don’t! The only way to fix these types of issues is to write your complaints to the State Attorney General Office and get them involved it takes a lot but hey, New York has got the ball rolling, its time don’t you think..............

Established Sharer

So now you know that increasing speeds doesn't fix a cable connection problem, but at least you're not being charged extra for the learning experience.  You need a home tech service call, because the phone and chat people can't diagnose those problems remotely.  The forum has a list of things we need to know before we can home in on the problems and cures.

*** DATA TO POST TO GET HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY *

Expert

If this isn't a wireless issue, I  suspect an obsolete 8x 4 or 4x4 modem... US looks like a 30/5 or 50/5 plan....

Spectator

I appreciate your input but but it's 28 X 6 (or8) Netgear 7800 Router with a Netgear CM600 Modem, not really looking to Joust with you, I see you are an "Expert" and have seen your input. As I said I have been with TWC for a LONG time and I have heard enough to write a book and NOTHING changes. So thank you for your intellctual prowess I am 100% you are very informed about the topic(s) you speak but I am well beyond any help that you can provide, thank you.... 

Expert

It's capable of 24x8 on TWC, copy and paste the signal level and error log pages, don't reset it, need to see real history...

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Afteryou are done with  all the State of NewYork legal bluster and babble (which means nothing in the state of NC), demonstrate your point:  Post both your speedtest and a tracert to Duke University.  Then we all can see where the slowdown occurs.  Don't be too surprised if the glitch is beyond the edge of TWC's transport network, which is where their speed zone ends.