Occasional Contributor
dbdataplus
Accepted Solution

Static IP address offered

[ Edited ]

the Live Chat person told me that I can definately get a Static IP address with TWC home internet, I just have to call tech support after the account is set up and ask for it.   She said she knows this by personal experience.

Is that true?  Or is she lying to get the sale?

I'd JUMP at TWC if I could get a static IP

https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/42897133/?cmd=file&file=chatFrame&site=42897133&visitor=514010586918...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
xzxDooGxzx

Re: Static IP address offered

From my experience, no one below teir 3 tech support has any idea about what they are talking about. They probably assumed that tech support can help you with anything at all.

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
ujmnz

TWC doesn't provide static ip addresses. I think maybe they meant you can have a static ip on your LAN to your local devices. But we don't provide WAN static ip addresses. 

I am a TWC employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s position, strategies or opinions.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
dbdataplus

That's what I thought.

It's a shame that I'm stuck with the phone company over what is a $5/month issue for everyone else

Please use plain text.
her
Occasional Contributor
her

Actually TWC does offer static IP addresses but only if you open a Business account. I just researched this myself and spoke with a customer rep from TWC Business Services and they will switch your current plan over to business without any fees for early cancelation. In my case the Business services are actually cheaper per month for the types of services I needed, which included a static IP address. Best of luck. Evidently the TWC Business is apart from TWC Home Services. There is though a link from the TWC Central web pages.

Please use plain text.
TJL
TJL

I absolutely needed a static IP.  The only TWC option was to move to business class service, so I did so.  In the process, it broke my residential cable/internet/phone price bundle.  The upshot is that it more than doubled my TWC bill.  If you want to run a home web server or similar service, you might consider keeping your current dynamic IP residential account and using a dynamic DNS service like no-ip.com

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bkflynn

This used to work for me, but about two months ago stopped.  When I investigated, I discovered that my cable modem no longer recieves a publically routable IP address from TW, it has a NAT 192.168... address.  So, nothing from the internet is routable to my house, no matter what I do with dynamic DNS.

It's a shame - I travel a lot and the ability to get back to servers inside my house was something I considered a major feature of my internet.  Now...it's become a major drawback and I'm trying to find another solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg more.  WIll have to investigate the business account, but I suspect the price is much higher because of that B word there.

Please use plain text.
JD
Occasional Contributor
JD

Sounds like you are using one of TW modems that work in gateway mode and not bridge mode.  Just buy your own modem that will bridge and you will be fine.

Please use plain text.
Niklis

I'm using LogMeIn hamachi. It's a great vpn program. Just install on your server and whatever computer you're travelling with. The one drawback is you have to be logged in on the server for it to run unless you get a paid version. Personally, I don't mind, I'm a programmer and it lets me connect to my TFS and SQL servers whever I am. Unfortunately, as far as I know, other people can't use my programs that involve a database unless they're on my home network. If anyone has a suggestion for that I'd love to hear it.

Please use plain text.