Browser

Spectrum why are you rebooting my modem?

Everyday I lose internet because the modem is resetting and it's not me doing it.  Why is Spectrum doing it? 

7 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Spectrum infrastructure often has high latency

Playing pc games online is bad, the high latency lags the game so much.  I have to keep changing DNS servers to get lower latency, which I shouldn't have to do if Spectrum would just look into this.

Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum why are you rebooting my modem?

Spectrum doesn't reboot modems on their own, in fact they have a strong reputation for asking the user to do that.  A better question would be who IS rebooting my modem?  The answer is usually in the signal level and event status reports stored in the modem.  You can retrieve those and paste them into a reply here.

Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum infrastructure often has high latency

If you have to keep changing external DNS servers in order to resolve your latency issue, the problem would appears to be outside of Spectrum's transport network.  The only DNS servers located inside belong to Spectrum, and are found at IP addresses 209.18.47.61 and 62.  

Valued Contributor

Probably have some line quality issues somewhere between you and the plant causing your upstream power levels to scale too far out of spec and the modem is rebooting on it's own. If the head end is not getting clear enough upstream from you, the modem will gradually increase output levels trying to compensate. Once you cross the 48dbmv mark, you are in the danger zone. Hit 50+ and they reboot.
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Good morning @debgram

@RAIST5150 and @karlbeckman are both excellent at helping diagnose issues with the 

connection. I encourage you to post some information about your situation. 

You can find some useful information to post here: DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Trusted Helper

Same issue in Brookfield Wisocinsin for the last few days,  Twice I have had to reboot the router and yesterday the modem rebooted on its own.  The modem is Spectrum's the router is mine. (Zip is 53045.)  We had new cable lines put in a month ago and tech said signals were great, so it's not that.  Speeds are fast though.  I am not an Internet/Modem guy, so if this keeps up, I am going to have my tech guy do a firmware update for my router.

Satch

Browser

Right now it hasn't done it since I mentioned it here, kind of funny I think.  Right now I'm having serious speed issues that I'm not happy about.  Dial-up is faster than my pc right now.  I paid for 100 mbps and getting  .09 - 2.5 mbps.  I called twice today and they can't find what's wrong.  Sending a tech out late afternoon tomorrow but that doesn't help me now.  I better be getting a refund on my payment, paying for something I'm not receiving.  Never had issues with Time Warner.

As for the modem, I wouldn't know how to get the info off that