Contributor

Spectrum's cable modem interfering with my Linksys router?

HI, will give you a little info as to what is going on at my end with my passover from TWC to Spectrum. Last week, i switched over, sortofa headache,  but lots of people to guide you through the agony ( you have to have your account confirmed, or nothing willwork right, duh, nothing on EZ connect kit says that).

So, we finally figured out that even though I was supposed to not use their wireless setup they sent one out anyway,  and I didn't see I was using it, thought I was using my own Linksys modem. A really knowledgeable tech guy assisted me in removing the wireless part and of course, saving me 5 dollars a month.

Well, he warned me when we hooked the cable modem up to my Linksys that there might b e some snags, but it worked well before wirelessly so wasn't too worried. Well, my laptop will not hold the wireless signal well at all. Yesterday we had iike 3 tech guys here, my buds, working on this problem, well, we couldn't fix it at all, in fact sometimes the signal got worse. However, not a but, the wired ethernet to both my computer and the laptop was always quite good and working well.

I am only getting about 3 mbps out the Linksys router to the wireless and even to my Amazon firestick, you can tell it is slow. So, spent all afternoon with it again, and one of the tech guys told me call TWc or Spectrum up and tell them about this weakness. Well, the techie I talked to, said to exchange the cable modem for one that doesn't have wireless, and he admitted that something inside the new modem might be interfering with my Linksys router, Wow, I knew itwas something like that, had a strange feeling.

Is anyone else experiencing the same difficulty with their laptops  or wireless devices since they switched to Spectrum and these modems that do  deliver faster speeds, but wirelessly they are almost worthless? Well, hope someone at Spectrum or in the forums has some news for me. Thanks for listening, hope you can assist me, RD

10 REPLIES
Valued Participant

Re: Spectrum's cable modem interfering with my Linksys router?

"...these modems that do  deliver faster speeds, but wirelessly they are almost worthless?..."

If the tech had assisted you to remove the wireless part of the modem, then it's your Linksys router that handles the wireless part. Double and triple check your Linksys wireless settings.

Yes, there might be interferences between devices, set your wireless frequencies to less crowded channels.

Contributor

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I am not using the two bands in the cable modem, just my Linksys. There is no reason for this from working on it again this morning. With 65 mbps, it should be sending out a stronger signal. The modem they send me in the EZ connect is nice but from all our working with it, the internal parts must be interfering with my LInksys, however, my modem has worked well for a very long time, not great, but fairly good. This significant drop in signal really doesn'tmake any sense, maybe Linksys techs will be able to help me, will call after the Labor Day weekend. I am enjoying the faster speeds though, for example, Facebook always used to give me fits, now, wow, am thankful,...any more info greatly appreciated, RD
Lead Moderator

@psongman when you bypass your router and connect directly to the modem what speeds do you get? That is a very important piece of this puzzle. If you are getting the speeds you should be with this connection we can say the issue is the router.  If our wireless is turned off, you say that it is, the modem has nothing to do with the wireless signal strength (meaning the distance the wireless is accessible), that is done by the router. Our modem only is providing connection to the Linksys, not transmitting the wireless.

If you will please differentiate what you mean between speed and "stronger signal" please that may help us to understand the issue.  

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Expert

copy and paste a tracert to google.com...

I'll bet the all in one is in nat, not bridged mode and also, you're possibly not on the first port with connection to the routers wan port. Simply turning off the wireless radios dosn't bridge it...NAT must be off

Contributor

OK, I think we might be getting somewhere but I don't know what you mean by nat or bridged mode. The tech guy last Friday kept hinting that it might be the new Spectrum modem even though the connections were turned off. Oh, the wired speed is fantastic but just tonight the upload dropped to just 2 mbps, wow, that is really low.

Anyway, please get back to me when you can about how to adjust the different modes....is that done at the office, well, will wait for your reply, thanks for helping, DR

Contributor

Well, I just got off the phone with Patrick in Spectrum and he checked my cable modem....it is in bridged mode. However, just like the other techies he said to  go to  cable office and switch out this modem for one that doesn't have wifi capabilities. He explained the reason much better, something about fighting for the signal even though it is turned off back at the office. I think I know what they are trying to convey, though logically it doesn't make sense, but this digital realm is difficult sometimes.  Good example, the laptop i am talking about almost got ruined last Friday after I did a system file check, so I contacted MIcrosoft and they knew all about what problems it could cause, yet they still keep telling owners to run one, ready, don't do it, they said since  XP and Vista, they don't run the probing the same and they are aware of what can occur. WEll, time to wind down for the evening. I believe my router is just getting old as I have heard in my reseach that this occurs often as they are on most of the time.  keep assisting if any ideas come up. I do know about how to adjust the Linksys router, like picking out one channel, stuff like that, just so you know, over and out, DR

Established Sharer

Just to aid your research, your router should be powered up all the time, right along with the cable modem.  They should not be switched on and off as the users enter and leave the room.  Routers are like people; they become technically obsolete long before the smarts inside die of old age.   They don't normally burn out like light bulbs after a certain number of hours.  

Contributor

OK, thanks for replying. Router is on all the time, as well as the cable modem. We spent almost all late afternoon, working on it. He did finally switch out the cable modem with the wireless in it, for one with just internet and phone....still only getting 1.0 mbps upload speed. So, something is slowing down the upload, any help appreciated, DR

Expert

What model Linksys?

Have you tried a new cat5 cable between the modem 's first port and the routers wan port?

When you go into your computers network settings wizard, does it show a 192.168.x.xxx IP address or something like a 142.xxx.x.xxx addresss?

If the latter, the router is also in bridged mode  and needs to have DHCP and NAT turned on.