Re: Spectrum is throttling internet speeds.

Outside of the splitters that I have NO issues anymore, since I get my own that are rated for HDTV.
How does that have anything to do with Spectrum Throttling?
I know they are throttling it and it is illegal.

I do heavy surfing and have 3 HDTV's in the house, along with 4 differnt computers that all use high speed internet.

Since, I work in this industry. I have triple checked everything and it's no way on our end.
The extended speed test confirm that there is throttling going on and it's a very common practice.
Yet, you'll never have any ISP/cabl provider to admit it.
But, it does happen and much more widespread than they will ever admit.

Expert

What do the non existentrated things called "HDTV rated splitters" have to do with internet speed?

Absolutely nothing since they're the same as regular splitters at 3x the cost.

Has nothing to do with internet speed, more than likely cables were loose

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

This happens to us every month: internet speed is throttled back.  Now,the spectrum app loses wi-fi connection and then uses all my DATA - even when I have 'use only if wi-fi is available' selected in the settings.  Everything buffers. It's great to have the Spectrum app on other devices but if I have to be sitting 3feet from the modem/router, what's the sense?

Established Sharer

harvey wrote:

This happens to us every month: internet speed is throttled back.  Now,the spectrum app loses wi-fi connection and then uses all my DATA - even when I have 'use only if wi-fi is available' selected in the settings.  Everything buffers. It's great to have the Spectrum app on other devices but if I have to be sitting 3feet from the modem/router, what's the sense?

Your comments make it sound like you are streaming the Spectrum app data through your cell phone, not using cable internet.  If the WiFi performance of the gateway you are renting does not meet your needs, you are free to use the existing rental modem but purchase your own router+WiFi combination unit.  Most contributors to this forum recommend a unit with true Gigabit network ports, type AC1700 or faster WiFi,  and several large "ugly" external antennas so you can get a wireless signal more than three feet from your rented "modem/router" enhanced gateway.

Expert

Karl, Verizon screwed something up on their 4 G network around June 30th and I've spent hours on the phone and at 3 of their stores so far to get it fixed. The only thing I've found reliavble has been the WIFI connection thru my DDWRT Linksys router and 20/2 internet connection. This is on a Samsung (yuck) j7

There is a major "cloud" issue and it started with whatever voicemail upgrade they did June 29-30th, and yes the phone tries to switch in and out of wifi mode unless I pull out the simm...

I don't think it's a TWC/ Spectrum issue

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

Karl, Verizon screwed something up on their 4 G network around June 30th and I've spent hours on the phone and at 3 of their stores so far to get it fixed. The only thing I've found reliavble has been the WIFI connection thru my DDWRT Linksys router and 20/2 internet connection. This is on a Samsung (yuck) j7

There is a major "cloud" issue and it started with whatever voicemail upgrade they did June 29-30th, and yes the phone tries to switch in and out of wifi mode unless I pull out the simm...

I don't think it's a TWC/ Spectrum issue

My Moto Droid OG on Android Marshmallow still works as it did before; it reliably stays on WiFi here at home when in range of my Spectrum router, also including many hotspots in the area fed by various ISPs. 

If I remember correctly, that change was the termination of Verizon's free limited space cloud backup service and wiping all remaining customer files that hadn't been retrieved off the drives.   Now we have to pay them for cloud storage capacity starting from the very first byte.  I did not receive any notice from VZW for functional changes in VoiceMaill itself. 

Did Samsung maybe roll out their spring Android security updates at about that same time, and break something in the process?  That seems to be happening a lot lately!

I  think you are right in suspecting that this customer's stated problem might not be caused by TWC/Spectrum.  But WiFi range of only a few feet is a serious problem to be fixed first, before blaming VZW or TWC.

Browser

When TWC came out to my house about a year ago, they indicated that the original Builder (of the house) didn't provide Ground at the cable box. The TWC technician had to attach a kludgy looking ground wire to the outside of the cable box housing (at the side of my house).

He said not having that could start a fire, or something like that.

Then he tried to install and activate the Cisco DTA(?) box, and it didn't work!

He called for additional tech support, and they told him to check on something, and it appears there was some kind of cable filter/blocker outside my house he had to cut and dispose of before the DTA would work.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Your builder isn't required to provide a ground, the cable service installer is required to install one.  They normally connect their grounding block to the service entrance conduit, IF it is metallic and not plastic, which is the same method the wired phone company uses. They all have to tie to the same ground point, or install a bonding cable if they use different grounding electrodes.

And of course, stand by for a surprise:  Spectrum is now replacing the DTAs with complete set-top converters, carrying a higher monthly rental charge.

Expert

Electric, phone and cable are supposed to enter within 4-6 feet of one another and must use the same grounding electrode, which is the ground rod below the meter (code now requires 2 of them)

Using the masthead pipe is a crapshoot, we've seen them not scrape paint off them or use loose meterbox clamps that don't cut into the steel. who knows if the 4 screws between the flange and box are a good connection either...

My opinion is the Wire going to the grounding rods is the only proper place.

Code does not allow a ground wire longer than 20' if it needs to be, it requires a seperate ground wire as well as a #6 or larger solid copper wire to bond it to the electric services grounding electrode.