Spectrum is throttling internet speeds.

[ Edited ]

I have a home based business that, I pay about $230/mo for my bill.
About two weeks ago. TWC/Spectrum redirected me to a page, on THIER website, asking me to check my settings, to see if I have any unauthorized leechers on my wireless modem.
I checked everything and all turns out OK.
So, I slected their button that all was fine, on our end.

I noticed since then. When I do a simple speed test. It would top out at about 330Mbps.
The, I decided to do an extended speed test to see if TWC/Spectrum were "throttling" my internet speeds.
It was spot on. Speeds would be fine the first 30 seconds or so, for initial speed test and then drop off raipidly to around 100Mbps, sometimes less.
I called TWC/Spectrum and the woman I spoke too talked to me like, I didn't know what I was talking about.  Needless to say. I've been in the internet business for over 20 years and have far more experience and knowledge what some woman did, behind a screen that was walking her through the troubleshooting tips.

She then told me, maybe engineering maybe behind it but offered no solution or help to stop this act. I pay  good money for my service and I do expect to get what I pay for.
Internet speeds drop off drastically after a minute of full blast use.
It not only effects my work, but also my TV experience.
In my office. We only have one cable line that comes into the house.
So, I have to use my Roku to be able to connect to TWC/Spectrum to watch TV.
You can tell it buffers, video quality is crap.
I even went out and spent good money for a much higher rated splitter because the TWC/Spectrum splitters get burned out within a week or two.

IDon't tell me how you guys don't "throttle" our internet.
I know you do and it's ILLEGAL.

Plus, it's NOT on my end.
Yet, you guys increased my bill to another $100 MORE a month, just a few months ago. For what, paying for crappy service?
There is no reason why this should be happening. NONE!!!

The TWC/Spectrum merger may have been great for the shareholders. But, not for the consumers.

18 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum is throttling internet speeds.

OK, this is a peer-to-peer technical forum assisting TWC customers with internet connectivity issues.  Since you have many years of internet experience, please define the problem you need assistance in resolving.

Valued Participant

With 20yrs of internet experience and you had to rely on some random website to find out if you have any unauthorized leechers on your wireless modem.?

Established Sharer

I'm not a Spectrum employee, just one of many forum volunteers, but I'll suggest that Spectrum might have observed that your IP address is consuming FAR more uplink and download bandwidth than the network is designed to transport for a subscriber to residential internet service.  This could happen if another subscriber nearby made a similar complaint to Spectrum that their own data was being blocked. 

If you read the terms of service  you will find that Spectrum DOES have the right to limit excessive data transfer volume that negatively affects other users on their network.  I'm not implying that is your specific situation, but you might want to discuss your home business data consumption directly with a Spectrum representative, rather than complaining on a public peer-to-peer forum.

Expert

this line says it all

"I even went out and spent good money for a much higher rated splitter because the TWC/Spectrum splitters get burned out within a week or two."

what is a higher rated splitter?

If you are burning out splitters you have SEVERE electrical grounding problems and need those addressed by a competent electrician, Probably out where the cable and telco lines are bonded to the electric common grounding electrode outside.

That will affect your speeds severely.

Wrong.
They gave out 1 GHZ splitters that aren't really rated for high-speed broadband, HDTV, etc.
These are the very basic, cheap splitters you can get.
That's why I upgraded to an HD/ Broadband splitter.

NEXT!!!!

Valued Participant

"...I called TWC/Spectrum and the woman I spoke too talked to me like, I didn't know what I was talking about..."

Incidentally, that's the same impression I had.

Expert

[ Edited ]

HDTV only uses up to 687 mHz some of TWC's head ends are using up to 866 mHz. But most out in the sticks only using 600 mHz in NYC, the data channels are lower than 400 mHz, so don't hit me the          about supposedely "digital rated" splitters.. It's all            sold to unsuspecting consumers like digital ready speaker cables and 4k tv's...

I like the direcTv splitters as they're rated 5-2500 mHz and I can use them for cable, antenna and DirecTv/ Dish and most importantly, they come with term resistors, lol.

BTW, 3 of the "peers" here have 120 years RF experience... and we don't work for TWC

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

kyinwebgroup wrote:

Wrong.
They gave out 1 GHZ splitters that aren't really rated for high-speed broadband, HDTV, etc.
These are the very basic, cheap splitters you can get.
That's why I upgraded to an HD/ Broadband splitter.

NEXT!!!!

The highest frequency received by TWC cable modems is 1002 MHz.  HDTV carried on cable in encrypted QAM format does not operate at a higher carrier frequency than other lower digital resolutions or even ancient analog  NTSC.  The QAM uses exactly the same 6 MHz wide channel slots, which is why cable companies can easily replace one old analog channel on their coaxial distribution networks with several QAM digital channels.  Fiber can't do that.

They are NOT designed to operate in the 1 to 2 GHz window which is typically used for MOCA, supporting  Dish or DirectTV block downconverters and whole-house DVRs, each being a relatively low volume application.

The reason that 1 GHz splitter prices are low, or in your words, "very basic, cheap splitters" is that they are assembled in huge volumes by many different offshore companies who are competing for orders from the ultra-large cable companies. 

Expert

[ Edited ]

Cable systems can't use much over 800 mHz unless it's fiber straight into a building. Normal street amps, tapoffs and hardline have horrible rolloff in the 900 range . , using higher rated splitters doesn't help.

But again if you've burnt out splitters, you have major electrical grounding issues and need an electrician to repair them. There isn't any real "power" on a coax that can cause any harm unless amplifiers were added and there's 12 vdc on the coax to power the amp and improper diplexers (dc power adders) are used or not used.

Needs TWC/Spectrum tech out.