Rookie

Spectrum infrastructure often has high latency

Attached is typical pings I get through Spectrum in my area. The delay/issue is seen as internal to Spectrum and thus there is nothing I can do. Is this typical?Pingplotter

7 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Spectrum infrastructure often has high latency

Sometimes you may see improvement through a VPN service. Pretty much depends whether you get routed through a better "exit" path for your ISP.

It starts go8ng south close to your more local nodes though... so may not be able to get any real relief, even with a "gaming" VPN service. May simply be a matter of heavily congested segments again.

Don't get me wrong... not always a "simple" matter to address--but it has become an all too familiar scenario in the industry where certain segments wind up oversaturated. More or less, bandwidth sells faster than the powers that be manage to upgrade to accommodate the users and such.

Best we can do is let everyone know about the issue. Not just the ISP, but also the local boards that "regulate" the whole thing. It isn't necessarily limited to the ISP holding back progress. Depending on just what is needed, sometimes a local board has to review and approve development of new areas. There could also be licensing/permit snags to address at local, state, or even federal levels. It isn't ways as direct as working in new port cards or something.

Have to run it up as many flagpoles as you can... make enough noise until you garner enough attention from the right people with the means to effect needed changes.
Established Sharer

Users need to understand  that the ONLY performance guarantee that Spectrum provides is that the data transfer speeds in both directions will be at least 80% of their speed tier levels.  There's no way for the user to control the network  routing or exit location.  The exit point when using a VPN is selected using the address of the VPN server site instead of the address of the actual target.  Spectrum has less than ten exit sites across the entire continental USA on their transport network that interface to IXP router locations. 

Rookie

This has nothing to do with a guarantee, it has to do with usability. If the service is not usable, then guarantee or not, I can't use it. There is a serious bottleneck. Since the bottleneck is in Spectrum's control, I think it would be in their best interest to improve it. Right now, I have to look at alternatives but was hoping to provide constructive feedback to try and help improve this.

Rookie

Im in the same boat in nys. They wont acknowledge there is a problem though. They just blame the customer
Established Sharer

If you can identify the IP address of the specific hardware that is failing or causing what you believe is a bottleneck, Spectrum can guide a maintenance tech to that segment of their transport network.  Including the device name, if it is available, would be a good cross-check for them. 

Unfortunately the graphic you inserted into your posting is not of high enough resolution to be decipherable by forum readers.  That's one of the limitations of Spectrum's text-based social media platform. 

Sharer

"Unfortunately the graphic you inserted into your posting is not of high enough resolution to be decipherable by forum readers."

All I had to do was turn my phone sideways for landscape mode and it is quite clear.

Besides, they could monitor the line and capture the symptoms. They've done it for me in my backwater town, working to improve latency along specific routes to Ormuco's ASN in Montreal back when FFXIV first launched.

It all boils down to who you get ahold of in Tier3 I guess....
Established Sharer

I'm viewing the forum on a laptop LCD with full 1920 x 1080 HD resolution, but the graphic isn't anywhere near that good, looks much closer to an ancient CGA .  So pardon me if I misread any digits in the IPs.  

Nearest device with long delays is Spectrum 76.85.222.57  The device name field suggests that it is nominally located somewhere near Lincoln, Nebraska.  

Second site with long delays is t-core at 108.170. 209.228., one of the IXP contract carriers in the Chicago area.  That one is beyond the edge of Spectrum's transport, not under their control, and is probably causing big internet connection problems for lots of people.