Observer

Spectrum charge for two modems?

I currently have a TWC legacy triple play plan.  The price went up recently from $130/month to $170.

I contacted an associate at my local Spectrum office, and he said he could probably move me to a Spectrum triple play plan for about $160.  Obviously not a huge savings from $170, but the new plan would include 100mbps internet compared to the 30mbps I have now.

The "problem" is I currently have two modems.  There is a modem in the basement that was installed in 2010, and is phone only.  My internet modem/router is on the main level of the house and located at the only existing cable line.  There is no corresponding phone line near this location, so that's why they've remained separate.  I've been paying the $10/month internet modem lease, but the phone modem is free..

The associate said that I may have an "issue" with the two modems upon the switch to Spectrum.   He did not specify exactly what he meant by that, but I assumed he meant with billing.  Spectrum doesn't charge a lease for a single modem rental, but what about the second phone modem?

In the meantime, I'm in a holding pattern on the switch, as I'm also considering switching to Fios..

4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum charge for two modems?

section31 wrote:

I currently have a TWC legacy triple play plan.  The price went up recently from $130/month to $170.

I contacted an associate at my local Spectrum office, and he said he could probably move me to a Spectrum triple play plan for about $160.  Obviously not a huge savings from $170, but the new plan would include 100mbps internet compared to the 30mbps I have now.

The "problem" is I currently have two modems.  There is a modem in the basement that was installed in 2010, and is phone only.  My internet modem/router is on the main level of the house and located at the only existing cable line.  There is no corresponding phone line near this location, so that's why they've remained separate.  I've been paying the $10/month internet modem lease, but the phone modem is free..

The associate said that I may have an "issue" with the two modems upon the switch to Spectrum.   He did not specify exactly what he meant by that, but I assumed he meant with billing.  Spectrum doesn't charge a lease for a single modem rental, but what about the second phone modem?

In the meantime, I'm in a holding pattern on the switch, as I'm also considering switching to Fios..

If you have a phone only modem, it will be free.

If you are currently renting an internet modem, you will no longer be charged for an internet modem when you switch to a Spectrum plan.  However, you will need to tell them that you have your own router, and do not wish to pay them $5/ month for the "home wifi fee".  If you don't have your own router, I recommend you purchase one with nice, big, external antennas.  It is recommended to avoid the "all-in-ones".

Others will chime in, but I don't see a problem having two modems (one phone, one internet) on your drop.  It obviously works now.

Be aware that some channels may disappear from your lineup with the migration.

One other thing you should be aware of...  There were recent increases in some costs, which are outside your "negotiated" triple play bundle.

1.  The BroadcastTV surcharge is now almost $9 / mo.   (I think it went up almost $2)

2.  The cost of renting set top boxes increased by $1 / mo. each.

Depending on how much equipment you have, this can be significant.  In addition, teh cost of a Set Top Box on a SPectrum Plan is almost half the cost under legacy TWC plans...

Observer

Sorry, should have mentioned that I have an Arris combo modem/router.  I know they have a poor reputation on the forum, but I've had it for almost two yrs now and it's been solid - never an issue, and perfect house coverage. 

And also, we have just a single Cisco cable box, no DVR.

Appreciate the help!

Proven Sharer

Agreed...also of note when switching to a Spectrum plan is if you happen to have Whole House DVR it may no longer function. 

Expert

since you've got tv boxes, you could indeed have modem SIGNAL issues if you add another splitter for the second modem.

Copy and paste the existing modems signal level pages, both down and upstream...