Highlighted
Not applicable

Spectrum Ultra

I have Spectrum Ultra (for over a year) which offers internet download speed of 300mbps.  However, in occassional speedtests (the Spectrum modem is hardwired directly bypassing the wireless router), my download speed averages 160mbps.  Upload speed is always constant though at 23mbps.

I have an Arris TM1602A modem from Spectrum.  Spectrum technicians have visited my location (91108) and replaced all the cable lines from outside to the inside of my house.  Yet my download speed remains stuck between 160mbps to 170mbps.  Spectrum technicians say the issues are either (1) with my computer's ethernet driver or (2) Windows 10 Professional.

I have updated my Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller to its latest driver (Driver date 3/28/2018; Driver version 10.26.328.2018).  I have also updated Windows 10 Professional.

If anyone has encountered similar internet speed issues and found a solution, please kindly let me know.  Thank you very much.

18 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum Ultra

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having speed issues. Some information to post to help your peers diagnose the issue can be found here:  DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

Thank you for your participation in the forums!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Not applicable

Thank you very much for your reply.   I will gather as much of the requested information as I can over the weekend.  I must confess I am not technologically savvy.  

Established Sharer

Until we see the Signal Level and Event/Error report pages from your modem, along with the make and model of your router, we are just shooting in the dark.  However, the Spectrum "technicians" who automatically blame your ethernet driver or Windows 10 installation don't have a clue either. 

It costs nothing for Spectrum to remotely re-flash your modem firmware for the correct speed tier.  That single step should get you back to seeing 25 to 38 Mbps uploads and download speed peaks up to 343 Mbps.  If it does not, post the pertinent information here that Julia_R recommended, and request a home service tech visit.  

Not applicable

Thank you very much for your suggestions.   i am very grateful for your help.  

Participant

i use to have wierd speed problems like that i got a intel gig nic and i also use all cat7 cables now i get good speed on test sites
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the advice.  I will purchase a cat 7 ethernet cable.

Valued Participant

A good amount of areas have 400/20 (480 or so when maxxed) now.

- make sure you're paying $90 and not the old fee of $105
Not applicable

Thank you very much for that information.   

Helper

Cat 7 cables are unnecessary. Cat 5e handles gig just fine.