Rookie

Spectrum Internet Speed test is fake

[ Edited ]

Time Warner provided what was promised however spectrum touts 60Mbps speeds and provides 9 Mbps.  Moreover the speed test if I go to spectrum shows 69 Mbps and at the same time on speedtest.net shows 9Mbps.  At the same time I cannot even play amazon fire tv which proves that the internet speed is no where close to 69Mbps.  Why lie spectrum?  Atleast be honest.  You do not give any discounts then why not deliver what you promise.   Shame on Spectrum and people who work for such unethical company.

13 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum Internet Speed test is fake

are you running the test on a wired connection with all other devices turned off and no cloud or onedrive on your computer?

Spectrum Employee

Hi Khusall,

There are many factors that come into play when running speedtests.

First, are you using a physical connection to your modem or router or are you testing over a wireless connection?

Second, which connection site are you testing off of? Beta.Speedtest.net? Fast.com? these comparison sites are not Spectrum owned and operated, so their speeds WILL vary especially if you are connecting to a server that has high utilization.

The Spectrum Speed test only tests WITHIN the Spectrum network. It is a speedtest, hosted through Ookla, that is native to your local region and does not leave the network.

So if you are getting contrasting results like which you are ascribing to, it may very well indicate that you are having an issue with that independant speedtest server and I would highly recommend testing using an additional test or changing the server to compare.

Now, if you are testing over wireless, these speed tests are not reliable and in the eyes of the company they are not seen as "accurate" because of additional factors that can cause networking issues and slow down the tests and reduce the accuracy of the results.

I'm sorry that you are having issues, however if this is not the case that the speedtest itself is not having issues, then it sounds like you may be having some connection issues aside from just saying that the speedtest is bad.

Would you mind going to 192.168.100.1 and posting your modem diagnostics so that we may view them and see if you are having some sort of connection issue that could be causing your problems as well?

Hope any of this helps, have a good day.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Taking everything exactly at face value is a better way to begin this discussion than claiming fraud by Spectrum.  The numbers say that Spectrum is transporting your data WITHIN THEIR NETWORK at 69 Mbps, but that when it travels across the web via numerous other carriers it is only going 9 Mbps when it arrives at the shared server site hosting that particular speedtest application.   You certainly are smart enough to understand that TWC or Spectrum don't pay for direct external dedicated premium circuits to every web site that their users want to access.

N/A

Following your reasoning: If we say there is a man living in the moon, merely because ONCE upon a time a man walked on the moon, the statement is presumed as valid. Or a car dealer saying you can buy a Bently for $100 because ONCE upon a time they sold 1 car for that price, no further qualification/condition explained.

Spectrum advertises for 30Mbps, and charges accordingly, merely because ONCE upon a day or time they can achieve that speed, MOST of the the time it never exceeds 9Mbps. The correct speed to advertise and charge for,  would therefore be 9Mbps. That is the speed to my computer, not the speed internally in their network, since we do not have access to that internal network.

Expert

If you are getting beter than 80% of what you pay for to TWC's test site, they won't fix it.

Issue is, FCC was ordered by the current administration to end net neutrality.

this will get worst...

Participant

I took the speedtest at speedtest.net and from the Spectrum site/plugin.

I get about 117/12 at both places, for 100/10 service.

Don't tell 'em, or they might reduce my speed a little.

[ Edited ]

Yes, it doesn't matter what the speed test shows under controlled test conditions.  I kept being told to make sure the computer was directly wired to the modem, no other programs running on that computer, and absolutely no other devices trying to access the internet service.  Then I would see speeds close to what I am charged for.   The fact that when i meet their test conditions I may get speeds "up to" what i am charged for has absolutely no utility in the real world.  So yes.  Spectrum's entire business model is a rip off.  The N.Y state Attorney General agrees http : //newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/01/schneiderman-charter-communications-lawsuit/ 

Then there is the $70 modem that they charge a 10$/month rental fee until you drop their service - and they keep the modem.

Rookie

[ Edited ]

Try Google DNS. It helps with fixing failed downloads too.

edit: I'd also like to add that this will only fix your problem if it ISN'T your connection. You are essentially just using your connections true speed to talk with googles DNS service(which is free)

Expert

ERrnesST wrote:

Try Google DNS. It helps with fixing failed downloads too.

edit: I'd also like to add that this will only fix your problem if it ISN'T your connection. You are essentially just using your connections true speed to talk with googles DNS service(which is free)

will not help in most cases, TWC/RR network is a pipeline with no local connectivity . It always takes the same first 6-12 hops to get to the transport backbone providers.

It takes 18 hops to get to my nextdoor neighbor on windstream DSL...