Newcomer

Spectrum Internet Service - Horrible!

Over the last two or three weeks I've been losing Internet service regularly. Sometimes just a "blip" that makes my telephone service (with Basic Talk) drop the call or so others can't hear me. Other times it's out because the weather is bad, maybe? Like a little rain or a little wind? Up to 1/2 hour at a time.

Speeds have significantly slowed down - despite the $10.00/month on my bill for the "turbo upgrade." Anyone who brings a laptop into this house to get on my service is complaining. Yet my bill has gone up by almost $10.00/month.

I've tried to call to complain, but the automated responses don't understand "complaint." This is like dealing with Time Warner Cable a year or so ago before they decided that customer service was important. Talking to a real person who could send me to the complaint department - which by now Spectrum must have - would be helpful.

I will go on to discuss this with the town franchise administrator and the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division, if it isn't resolved asap.

Ridiculous - how can a company that takes over another actually DECREASE service?

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum Internet Service - Horrible!

Read other posts first..

copy and paste modem signal level and error log pages and what speed you're getting on a wired connection and to TWC's speedtest site

Established Sharer

While you are in a mood to complain, be sure to tell your local politicians and state utility regulators that your 9-1-1 emergency phone service goes out along with your cable TV and internet connections.  THAT tends to get their attention more than not being able to watch I Love Lucy re-runs or YouTube videos 7 x 24.

Good afternoon tricksmom96

If you would please contact us directly via the following private LINK, we will certainly be happy to address these issues. Please include your account or phone number, along with the name and full service address of the account holder. Upon receipt of your message, we will be able to access your account to review the issues that you're having and help to find resolution. 

-Melissa O.

Spectrum Community Forum Moderator

ch5
Spectator

I have been experiencing internet/phone connectivity issues for the past month.  I have had techs in my home three times over the past three weeks. They check signal levles and swap modems.  This last visit they told me I needed a rewire even though they received good signal levels.  

Established Sharer

ch5 wrote:

I have been experiencing internet/phone connectivity issues for the past month.  I have had techs in my home three times over the past three weeks. They check signal levles and swap modems.  This last visit they told me I needed a rewire even though they received good signal levels.  

At least the techs have finally stopped swapping modems, since that obviously was NOT the reason for the failures of your internet service.  Of course the modems were returned, so the diagnostic reports from those modems are no longer available for anyone to review. 

Do you remember how long ago the cable company installed your original connection?  It's possible that the wire the installers used back then is now obsolete  (type RG59 with crimped connectors).  It may even be causing interference to other subscribers in your local area. 

ch5
Spectator

I am going to assume the original wiring was done about 30 yrs ago since that is how old the home is.  I have been here 2 1/2 yrs and did not experience problems until recently.  Yes, I do recall hearing the techs say "59 wiring" when they were in my attic.  I am now just waiting for someone to contact me to schedule the rewire.

Expert

30 year old foil and foam 59 isn't awfull but the connectors and splitters are.

You can pull new cable, let TWC terminate it, just don't hard kink it as kinks and crushes affect the dielectric and impedance bumps kill various frequencies above 400 mHz where twc runs data service.

Established Sharer

RG-59 cable from 30 years ago didn't have the 100%  foil bonded to the dielectric.  Those crimp connectors would never make 90 dB back then, much less 110 dB today.