Seasoned Contributor

Spectrum Earthlink Legacy TWC account future

I have had Earthlink provisioned over TWC/Spectrum for 11-years with no changes to that account during this period. Currently I get about 75MB/sec throughput and the TV channel lineup we have are both satisfactory for our useage . In order to fulfill or TV useage, we would need a Gold package, adding premium channels we do not desire at an increase in cost. I understand that any changes we would make to our account, like dropping Earthlink in favor of Spectrum Internet would trigger a drop of our Legacy TWC package, forcing us into the Spectrum Gold TV package.

I believe that the agreement between Earthlink and Spectrum is ending. As thing have eveolved, we now have no real reason, or need to maintain the Earthlink account and its email addresses. We would be happy if we could request a simple change of our cablemodem provisioning directly into the Spectrum system keeping our current level of service and cost. That, however, does not seem possible.

It would seem that, at some point, Spectrum will completely cease all provisioning of Earthlink over their system and make changes to our account.  We have received no indication from either Earthlink or Spectrum that this will occur, when it may happen, or any details as to what it may entail. I feel certain that Spectrum account reps can offer up anything more than merely offering to upgrade our service (and raise our bill).

In actuality, our account was originally established 40-some-odd years ago, without interruption from Rogers, to Paragon, to TWC and now Spectrum. The last time I actually spoke with a rep, they had a hard time locating our account information. Not entirely unrelated, we also have a CableCard / TA tuner system, whose provisioning is quite sensitive to account changes. I plan on doing nothing and simply waiting to see what happens.

I expect no answers, as I suspect nobody really knows any details. Neither does anyone at Earthlink.

7 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum Earthlink Legacy TWC account future

@twcsa4jim wrote:

I have had Earthlink provisioned over TWC/Spectrum for 11-years with no changes to that account during this period. Currently I get about 75MB/sec throughput and the TV channel lineup we have are both satisfactory for our useage . In order to fulfill or TV useage, we would need a Gold package, adding premium channels we do not desire at an increase in cost. I understand that any changes we would make to our account, like dropping Earthlink in favor of Spectrum Internet would trigger a drop of our Legacy TWC package, forcing us into the Spectrum Gold TV package.

Just an FYI....You do not need a "Gold" package with all the premiums to meet your TV needs.

You can add Digi-Tier #1 and #2 to Spectrum Select and get the same channels that are in the Gold Package, less the Premiums.  They are $12 each per month ($24 total).  You can see how discounted the premiums become in the bundle....

If / when the time comes, also consider a "Triple Play", since you aren't really a Spectrum Internet Customer, you may be eligible for new customer pricing...

Highlighted
Sharer

Go to your local office... don't call, actually go in the office. Perhaps with a copy of your bill for good measure.

Chances are, they will have more info and flexibility to help out within their local framework. As @dstoffa mentioned, you may also qualify for some new customer style promotional discounts as well.

Doing a face to face tends to just get better results in my experience... it is how I got into several promotions that the national line and media never talks about.
Seasoned Contributor

As you have both mentioned, promotional discounts may be available, but every way I look at the lineup changes, when the 12-month discount expires, our rate would increase from our current $145 to about $165.

I am sticking with my wait and see approach. The information regarding severing the Earthlink may be in question.

Sharer

If you go the "automatic" route, you will get hit with the national plan rates... more often than not, this winds up being menu rates--as in marginal promotional discount at best compared to other options that may be available in your local market.

To put it another way, when my legacy TWC plan was set to expire, the local office was immediately able to cut $15 off the bill the system generated for me. BUT... we changed things up a bit (switched fully to streaming instead of broadcast), and saved about $35 WITH an increase in the bandwidth tier to boot!

Before going to the local office, I spent a solid 30 minutes or more with the phone rep at the 877 number and got NOWHERE fast. Everything would be the same or MORE then the offer in the bill, AND involved adding options I did NOT want. She just was NOT getting the concept that my home phone is just under $18/month (cell tech)... something like triple play was a USELESS option for us... and was still gonna be considerably MORE than I had been paying.

...was just a short 5 minute conversation with my local office, and they gave much more attractive options.

Seriously...try working directly with your local office... they are likely to be more familiar with your market's system and options--may even be some new things in development that is not being offered at the national level yet.
Seasoned Contributor

Just out of curiosity, how were you made aware that your legacy TWC plan was set to expire?

As a side note, direct communications I had with Earthlink indicated that there are no plans to shutdown existing subscribers that are provisioned over Spectrum. Still going to wait it out.

Sharer

Last time we set up a promotional discount (at the local office), they gave us a heads up that the legacy TWC plan deals would not be extended again after that. Later that year we got a letter with a specific cut-off date... forget the specifics though (just chunked the letter b/c we already knew it was coming).

Another reason I like to go in to the office for plan/rate questions. Just seem to get more reliable information (and solutions) from them.
Participant

Unless you're in the industry it's unlikely that people you'd be talking with at Earthlink (CS, etc) would have any way of knowing 'there are no plans'. Charter/Spectrum has said (earnings calls and elsewhere) all through the TW changeover that they see no need for third-party/reseller partnerships and have no plans to continue them. Obviously these things can always change but they as a company have not done this.