Observer

Spectrum Columbus Ohio Finally Updating Modem Firmware!

I have a Netgear CM600 and they finally just pushed v1.01.14

Stock firmware was v1.01.05

I'm seeing 24x8 now where as before I only saw 16x4. I still only have a lock on 16x4. Did the firmware do this or is it the new 100Mbps minimum speed change oe both?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum Columbus Ohio Finally Updating Modem Firmware!

dudesky71 wrote:

I have a Netgear CM600 and they finally just pushed v1.01.14

Stock firmware was v1.01.05

I'm seeing 24x8 now where as before I only saw 16x4. I still only have a lock on 16x4. Did the firmware do this or is it the new 100Mbps minimum speed change oe both?

Thanks!

The firmware update your modem received does not change the internet data speed to which you subscribe.  Your modem may now be seeing additional channels that are not delivered with suifficient quality to lock on, or they may be newly powered up but not transmitting internet data at this time.  Ohio's legacyTWC and Brighthouse service areas will be in migration for the next three mionths

Observer

Correct. Only the config file changes the speed. I just didn’t know if the firmware update exposed the new channels or they just turned on more channels that aren’t set up yet. Frequency and signal levels all say zero.
Highlighted
Established Sharer

If both the frequency and signal levels are zero, then it is likely that the newly visible channels have not been turned on for service.  In a large metro service area like Columbus OH it could take them a few weeks to get new channel capacity installed across every node in the entire franchise. 

It is unusual that the new Netgear CM600 modem firmware update seems to have enabled several more data channels than your modem had before.   Channel capacity is normally a hardware design parameter, rather than a system programming decision.  Maybe they were always therre but just masked on the display tables, in the same way that TWC can massage your config file to hide all the digital errors so you can't prove they have a problem. 

Established Sharer

Check carefully which device actually received that version of firmware.  My WNDR3400v3 router was just updated to 1.0.1.14 for improved security.  It would be unusual for a modem to be upgraded to the same version number at the same time. 

Netgear also released a new update 2.4.46 to the Netgear Genie control panel recently which changed the information displayed from several Netgear devices.  That might be why you now see more channels on the modem when using the Genie control panel.