Valued Participant

Spectrum Approved 400 Mbps modems, any good choices?!

So our area finally has Ultra 400 Mbps plans available this week and I’m not pleased with the approved modem choices and wanted to get feedback from those that have these.

SB6190 was my choice, but then I read it has a faulty Intel Puma chip in them causing latency issues.

Netgear CM600 is only 24 bonding downstream channels vs 32.

Other two are combo WiFi/Modem combo which I usually avoid.

Does Spectrum plan to approve more modems? What do you all use and how’s the performance? Does the SB6190 have issues still with the Intel puma chip or did firmware updates from Spectrum address it? I read reviews on Amazon and decided to cancel my order when I had placed one.

So I’m confused. I want the 400 Mbps plan, but I want a modem that’s reliable and possibly might have a chance to be added as an approved Gig plan modem in the future as Gig plans show available in our area too now.

Any advice on route to go. Do I just wait for DOCSIS 3.1 modems that’ll be approved by Spectrum? Thanks
11 REPLIES
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum Approved 400 Mbps modems, any good choices?!

Spectrum doesn't charge rental fees for modems, so why not take their "free" modem, have it set to bridge mode, and use your own router?  This way, any modem issues that arise are their responsibiity to fix.

Helper

If you want a good 400 approved modem...the CM600. But as already mentioned, if you are waiting for customer owned modems to be approved for gig, I would wait. 

I personally have the 6190 on 400 and it works great for me. I am not an extensive online gamer,  no video conferencing, or any other latency sensitive activities. 

Valued Participant

Reds91185, that’s what it sounds like as the only decent choice if want to get a Broadcom chipset modem vs Intel. If it had 32 channels instead of 24, I would’ve jumped right in. My luck I’d buy the modem, then 2 months later they’ll have more approved modems. I’m hoping the SB8200 gets added as it’s DOCSIS 3.1 and uses Broadcom chipset as Arris dumped Intel. Guess I’ll be waiting a little longer before buying a new modem.
Valued Participant

dstoffa, is not “free” because they’ll charge you a $5 WiFi monthly fee if you get their modem and their modems are usually combo modem/WiFi which I avoid. I already have an excellent Asus router I plan to stick with.
Helper

@Kookwrote:
dstoffa, is not “free” because they’ll charge you a $5 WiFi monthly fee if you get their modem and their modems are usually combo modem/WiFi which I avoid. I already have an excellent Asus router I plan to stick with.

The modem is included...wifi is $5 extra which you can have them waive if you want to use your own router. 

Lead Moderator

Hi guys.

Just wanted to clarify that if you subscribe to Ultra or Gig there is no charge for wireless.

For the other packages there is a $5.00 fee for that. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

If I was making the 400 Mbps modem selection today, I would take Spectrum's 400 Mbps gateway box in bridging mode (at zero monthly charge) and buy my own Gigabit router with AC1900 Tri-Band WiFi and Multiple Stream Beam Forming.  It will have four or six ugly but efficient external antennas.  Spectrum has not approved any Gigabit modems for customer purchase at this time. 

Participant

i highly recommend you get the Netgear CM600 Not the cm1000 but if you want a modem for the gig get the sb8200 i Dont recomend that you get any modem owned by spectrum i very highly advise against it becuz there modems suck alot just get the cm600 it great i got it myself
Valued Participant

SB8200 would be my choice but it’s not on their list of approved modems. I assume we’re not allowed to bring in a modem that’s not approved?