Rookie

Something doesn’t seem right

Single family home

Green Bay, WI

400 Mbs / TV / Voice

Arris 1602a

Sagemcom fast 5260

Hi All,

We recently switched from AT&T to spectrum to take advantage of the higher speed internet.  However, I’m experiencing a lot of lag playing Xbox and slow WiFi speeds while streaming or surfing the web.  Unfortunately, the Xbox is on WiFi but the slowness & lag is worse now than it was on AT&Ts 50mbs plan.  I was planning on purchasing a CM600 and switching out the router and possibly set up a MoCA network but still on the fence..  I’ve read some poor reviews on the 1602a so I was going to call the local spectrum store to see if I could swap modems before making a purchase.  Screenshot of modem status:

1BC774E7-5EC0-4036-B7E4-39AB3EC357B2.png

Is this normal? Any additional info or troubleshooting I can provide or do on my end?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: Something doesn’t seem right

Event Log:9555D245-CDFE-4CF5-A382-BAF806B67B6C.png

Established Sharer

That's because something is wrong with the cable network in your area.  Specifically, those RCS Partial Service messages mean that your modem is repeatedly losing signal on at least one of the assigned DS (downstream) channels for several seconds at a time. 

Right now you need to call and make an appointment for a visit by a home service tech.  If he can't find the problem inside your home he will probably need to call in the bucket truck cavalry, which may take a couple more days to schedule. 

Helper

Just to add...this is not a problem that a new modem will fix.

Rookie

Spectrum sent out a service tech but didn't think there was anything wrong with the network.  Not sure if he checked the lines, box, or anythink outside of the houes.  He ended up swapping out the router and said that should solve the issues.  I'll check the modem status and event log this afternoon and share the results.

Thank you!

Helper

He swapped the router or the modem?  If the router...he just wanted out as fast as possible or was late for his next appointment.

Rookie

Just the router..  Switched out the Sagemcom F@st 5260 with the "Spectrum Wave 2".

I mentioned I planned on replacing the router either way.. I'm not sure how a router would impact or have anything to do with signals the modem are receiving/pushing anyway??  He plugged the modem into his handheld and said everything was running as it should and the reason for the spotty, intermittent service was a router issue, not modem or network. 

Helper

I'm not sure how a router would impact or have anything to do with signals the modem are receiving/pushing anyway?? 

It wouldn't.

Have you tried bypassing the router and direct connecting to the modem to see if you still experience the disconnects?  Intermittent problems are the hardest to detect and resolve. Just like a strange noise in your car...when you take it to the mechanic but the noise isn't happening at that point and the mechanic says "bring it back when you hear it again."

Rookie

Hah, great analogy!

I have but it was very breif.. just ran a speed test when the tech left.  I'll try it out this afternoon when I check the status/event logs and report back.

Thank you for all the help!

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Sometimes it goes the other way though.  "You're going to need a new ECM module and a new transmission."