Observer

Serviceability in Orient OH

I live in the Orient, OH area and our area currently only has TV service on an old cable network that is only one-way communication, so we don't have internet or phone (or on-demand TV) available presently.  However, about a year ago, Time Warner ran brand new cables down our street in what I hope is anticipation of upgrading the service so we can have internet services.  I talked to a tech and he said that it looked like there weren't amplifiers or taps installed on the new lines yet.

Is there any way to get an answer on when the equipment to get the new lines up and running is slated for installation?  I have gotten bounced around at customer service, most people have been friendly and want to help, but haven't been able to get a good answer.  I can provide more specifics on the road that I'm on and the roads that I've traced the wires on to find the nearest amplifier (1.4 miles away following the new cables lol), but don't just up and broadcast my address typically on forums... :-)

Thanks!

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Serviceability in Orient OH

if this is a straight "cable" without dropped down expansion loops, it's fiber and you'll see an amp housing every sever miles, no tap offs. There's also wheel shapped loops to drop the fiber to splice it near amps and splice cases.Cell sites and telco slicks also use fiber rather than metalic pairs.

Coax will have a drop down expansion loop on every pole for tapoffs to be cut in.

Observer

I'm 90% sure this is coax and it does have a drop down loop (not a full loop, more of a "dip" in the cable" that looks exactly like the cable line right above it (I'm 100% sure the line above it is coax).  There just aren't any amps or taps installed anywhere near me yet.  Should I post a picture of one of the poles?

Expert

Photo.. yes..

does this feed to the prison?

Observer

I don't believe it feeds to the prison.  I traced it from two different spots and it goes underground in both places

This is the pole in front of my house.  The lowest wire is the new one.  The second from the bottom is definitely the current cable coax.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x216zjy57yduiuy/IMG_5595.JPG?dl=0

This is the unit that is near where the wire goes underground, just for reference if this equipment helps understand what it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kabme8c60byapg/IMG_5597.JPG?dl=0

Here is an overview map of where the wire runs as much as I know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc6tykgpnl0k5sk/Cable%20Map.png?dl=0

Observer

Also, these new wires are identical in appearance to a friend's house who just got new Spectrum service last year and didn't have coax running there before.

Expert

The black cable with orange tubing is fiber optic and not the cable companies, It's either telco or cellular owned. . The bare aluminum above that is the cable hardline.
Observer

Yep! You are exactly right, I took binoculars and noted that the black wire with orange tubing has the words "Citizens Telecom Fiber Cable" on it. That'll teach me to make assumptions!

So... New question... How often does spectrum convert unidirectional cable to two way that would support internet?
Expert

what model cable boxes do you have?

What's the zip code and when you run it thru the guide, does it show more than 125 chnnels?

on the remote hold in the select button for 10 seconds and hit the up arrow. What's the IB freq and level on the highest channel number and the OOB tx and rx frequencies?

Observer

I actually don't have the TV service installed yet.  When the tech came out to install, he said that taps outside my house needed to be replaced and he couldn't install that day.  He also said that he was going to put an order in to have my line pre-buried and that he needed a wall fishing team to run some wires inside my home since he didn't have the proper tools to do so.  When I asked him about internet, he was the one who did research and told me that I was on a one-way network and he also said that he didn't have any one-way boxes on his truck.  He said since it's a one-way network I couldn't get on demand, internet or phone until they upgraded the service.

I can get the info you requested if they ever actually come back and install.  I haven't heard from them in over a week...