Rookie

Router speed 10x slower than direct connect to modem

I have Arris DG1670 Modem provided by Spectrum, and use personal Linksys EA3500 router.  When I connect computer directly to modem, I get speeds ~200-220 Mbps (which is my advertised speeds from spectrum).  If I connect my computer directly to router with wired connection I only get ~20 Mbps.  Also, any device connected to the router wirelessly will get 20Mbps down.  Interestingly the upload speed is ~10 Mbps for both modem and router.  I've called Spectrum customer service and they have been no help.  This router has worked in the past with other serice providers and had no problem outputing much higher speeds.  Any help would be appreciated.

11 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Router speed 10x slower than direct connect to modem

Is there a firmware update available for your router?
If not, as you've discovered, it might be time to replace your six-plus year old router. Six years may as well be decades in technology.

When your router was released, the iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S II were considered cutting edge technology.
Rookie

Firmware is up to date. I know router is getting old, but seems like it should be able to handle these speeds.
Lead Moderator

When you bypass your router and connect directly to the modem you are using the 

same Ethernet cable? If not, what do you get when you swap the Ethernet between

the router and the modem? 

Do you have an alternate router you can try? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Proven Sharer

The EA3500 router is already 6 years old and its WiFi radio is only capable of up to 300 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band and 450 Mbps on the 5 GHz band, for 750 Mbps total.  That's IF your existing WiFi devices can all use Mode N on both bands simultaneously.  

Many router models from Cisco/Linksys include features to prioritize certain applications,  by limiting network speeds either up or down for other apps.  You need to use the Netgear "Smart WiFi" app to adjust those settings.  Instructions for adjusting these settings begin on page 42 of your user manual, included as a pdf file on the CD that came with your router.  It is very important that you also update your router  to the latest firmware, which patches several security holes discovered in the last 6 months.  

Rookie

Got a new internet router from  spectrum dounload speed only 16

Proven Sharer

Questioning if you already knew that you MUST reset the router to factory defaults BEFORE you connect a CAT-5e ethernet cable between the modem's LAN port (must be #1 if your modem has several) and your router's WAN jack.  You do that by holding the reset button in for at least ten seconds.  

Looks like you may have only one working US channel and the bonding of several downstream channels isn't working.  Please post the signal levels and status pages.

Spectator

So you have a Spectrum provided Arris modem/wireless N wifi router combo with a Linksys  wireless N wifi router connected to the Arris. Therefore I assume the wifi on both are active.

You might want to try a factory reset on both units. Then set up the Arris first. Make sure all is well with it before doing the Linksys. (Spectrum will not assist with customer owned equipment)

Helper

@vctyler wrote:

I have Arris DG1670 Modem provided by Spectrum, and use personal Linksys EA3500 router.  When I connect computer directly to modem, I get speeds ~200-220 Mbps (which is my advertised speeds from spectrum).  If I connect my computer directly to router with wired connection I only get ~20 Mbps.  Also, any device connected to the router wirelessly will get 20Mbps down.  Interestingly the upload speed is ~10 Mbps for both modem and router.  I've called Spectrum customer service and they have been no help.  This router has worked in the past with other serice providers and had no problem outputing much higher speeds.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is the Arris DG1670 set up in bridge mode with the wifi radio turned off?

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

OK, so the piece of the puzzle you didn't realize is that the Arris DG1670 which you are renting from Spectrum is BOTH a modem AND a router with WiFi, an all-in-one gateway box.  As others have pointed out, without doing some special programming to both routers you can only have one active router on your LAN. 

I suggest you start first with just the Arris; plug your cabled devices into the LAN jacks and you should be up and running using their router and WiFi.  If that configuration doesn't meet your needs, post a reply and tell us again specifically what part of that layout doesn't work for you.