Observer

Right of Way - Tree?

Didn't know the best place to post this question...this topic area seemed to be most active, so I'll give it a shot.  There is a Time Warner fiber optic cable running across my land that serves customers up the road from me (granted right of way on dedicated poles).  There is a tree that wants to fall over but is being held up by the fiber line....it is hanging over my driveway and blocking access for taller vehicles.   

Here's the conundrum: 

I have the ability to cut the tree down, but am worried about the liability to the fiber optic line...if it breaks, I do not want to be responsible for the splice cost.  I also hate playing roulette waiting for it to come down across the driveway and injuring someone.  

I've called customer service and also damage claims and the common thread is that "we don't do trees".  Fine, i get that...wait...not really.  I'm letting folks know of an impending large service area outage that could be avoided...as well as safety issue on my land.  I'm sure that once the tree came down, they'd figure out "how to do trees" but it seems that proactively, it's not a playing card in the deck.  

Attached is the picture...any thoughts or opinions from someone who's dealt with this before? A different approach or number to call?  Like I said, I've got the ability to manage the tree, just don't want to get stuck paying for fusion splice or rehanging the cable if something happens to it. 

Thanks in advance, 

AlanIMG_0722.JPG

8 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Right of Way - Tree?

Good morning. 

Looks like a sticky situation.  I can tell you that If /when the tree comes down we will not handle removal of the tree. The removal/up keep of the tree would be the responsibility of the property owner.  

If you will contact us directly at Forums_Help with your information we can get the issue submitted, see if we can coordinate efforts to keep disaster at bay. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

Agreed on management of tree, the issue is “what happens if the cable is damaged”? I’ll reach out directly.
Established Sharer

Pro Tips:

1) Get the names of the Spectrum people you contact (or employee numbers if they refuse to give you their name), keep track of the date/time of your contacts.

2) If you manage to get someone's attention who promises to "do something about it", give them a deadline (whatever you deem reasonable -- perhaps a week or two), and tell that person if Spectrum does not resolve the tree situation by your deadline, that you will take down the tree yourself but that you will have no responsibility for the fiber line, as Spectrum is abdicating their responsibility by not meeting the dealine -- and that this is the only notice that Spectrum will receive about this matter.  Document the dates.

3) There is about a 98% probability that Spectrum will let the deadline pass.  Then you can take care of the tree, you'll probably do a better job with it than Spectrum could manage, and you probably won't break the fiber line.  But if you do break the fiber line in the process, that's not your responsibility, it's Spectrum's problem.

Helper

1) Get the names of the Spectrum people you contact (or employee numbers if they refuse to give you their name), keep track of the date/time of your contacts.

2) If you manage to get someone's attention who promises to "do something about it", give them a deadline (whatever you deem reasonable -- perhaps a week or two), and tell that person if Spectrum does not resolve the tree situation by your deadline, that you will take down the tree yourself but that you will have no responsibility for the fiber line, as Spectrum is abdicating their responsibility by not meeting the dealine -- and that this is the only notice that Spectrum will receive about this matter.  Document the dates.

3) There is about a 98% probability that Spectrum will let the deadline pass.  Then you can take care of the tree, you'll probably do a better job with it than Spectrum could manage, and you probably won't break the fiber line.  But if you do break the fiber line in the process, that's not your responsibility, it's Spectrum's problem.

1)  Always good advice.

2)  Waste of time. Spectrum is not in the tree trimming business.

3) More like 100%.

Lead Moderator

@RickE

Spectrum can not remove the tree, either while it is still  (somewhat) upright or

once it has fallen. That is not something that our crews do. That portion 

of this scenario is the responsibility of the property owner. 

We do need to get this type of situation escalated to the proper group for review.

Regards,
Julia R.

Observer

All, thanks for the suggestions and dialogue on this topic.  Luckily, mother nature (er...the wind + tree) decided to help the issue along and brought the tree down completely.  Having to use the driveway, i removed it and (luckily) the cable popped back up to where it was supposed to be without any external signs of damage (they're tough!).  All's well that ends well.

Alan

Helper

Good to know that everything seems okay. I guess we won't know for sure unless those customers up the road start having issues. That's when Spectrum would get involved and fix/replace any lines if they got damaged.

Lead Moderator

Hi again!

Glad to hear that the tree is down, gone and didn't (appear) to do any damage. 

Please do let us know if your neighbors report any trouble. We can escalate 

the issue. 

The Social Media Team would be a great place to report if issues crop up.

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.