Rookie

Remote Desktop doesn't work after new cable modem installation

Just got a new cable modem.  Everything is working great!  Faster speed!  However, now my Remote Desktop connection from my work computer to my home computer no longer works.  Both computers are Windows 10 and nothing has changed but the new modem.  I called Spectrum support and had them shut off the router/firewall in the cable modem as I have a Netgear Nighthawk router and the cable modem firewall has blocked RDP in the past.  My Plex server is once again accessible from outside but RDP is still not working.  Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Remote Desktop doesn't work after new cable modem installation

Make sure you are hitting the right external IP. Provisioning a new MAC can cause a new IP address assignment. Plex may do like my PlayOn does... goes through UPnP to open a random port ID, and when the phone app synchs to it at home it saves the proper external path.

That is another thing worth checking too I guess... the port assignment for the target PC's RDP listener and make sure the port forwarding through the router is using the right numbers.
Rookie

I forgot to add in my original post that I am using a static IP service, No-IP.org, and I can ping the address I use for that but when I try to connect with RDP it's a no go. 

Expert

your public IP is different

What was the old modem?

Why did you change modems?

Rookie

Spectrum gave it to us. Our old one was outdated and couldn’t handle the faster speeds. Not sure what the old modem was. It’s already back to Spectrum.
Expert

I'm guessing that you need to reset or have the DDNS reset so that it can create the static IP for you.  should have a repair option of some sort? or there's some sort of firewall turned on in the new modem that needs to be disabled

But, TWC/ now Spectrums dynamics  rarely change other than when you change routers.

Rookie

Did some more work last night and discovered that the ports I have forwarded for both Plex and RDP are blocked to the outside world.  When I get home from work today, I'm calling Spectrum to see if they can shed any light on the problem.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

OBSERVATION:  This user's modem is rented from Spectrum, not COAM.  Custom port settings might not be allowed, or might not be stored in the gateway.

Expert

Yup! that's a huge issue.. since sept 2017, they were blocking changes to the rented all in ones.. or the changes were deleted after a reset. Buy a seperate router and get a modem only instead of the combo  in front of it....

Per another av guy I ran into last week, he says they recently allowed customers into the routers.. But per my conversations this year, they've told me all they'll do is bridge the combo's and it's up to the customer to provide and program the routers, lol....

Contributor

New modem = new MAC = new WAN IP.

You need to update your new WAN IP with your DNS provider or in your case no-ip.org