Highlighted
Observer

Reduce Latency

Hi,

I am trying to reduce my latency while using Spectrum.  I wanted to post my signal strength and ask for any input you might have.  I only have the internet and have no splitter between at the box which then goes directly to the cable modem.  Here is the status page from the SB6190:

Startup.pngstats.png

10 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Reduce Latency

You want to reduce latency because you're a gamer or use extensive video conferencing? Outside of any physical coax issues causing your problems, the 6190 has a chipset with a fatal flaw that increases latency. I myself have a 6190 and don't notice any problems, but I'm not a gamer. 

Observer

I am a gamer trying to reduce latency. I have read about the 6190 issues. I wasn't sure if all 6190's were effected by this issue.
Proven Sharer

The Puma 6 chip design flaws get worse as the speed increases from 100 Mbps up to 400 Mbps, which is the maximum for this 24 x 8 modem when used on Spectrum.  But you also have a second severe problem, which is high noise on the signals coming in to the modem.  Look at the high numbers of both corrected and uncorrectible data packet errors on every channel. 

These can be caused by broadcast TV or cellphone signals leaking into the cable system, or by a signal amplifier that is far out of adjustment.  You definitely need to schedule a home service tech to visit and resolve the noise problem.  Swapping out the modem for a different model will do nothing to reduce the noise and the resulting errors.

Observer

Thank you for the reply!  I have a tech coming out today and will update.

Helper

The SB6190 is a 32x8 modem.

Just be aware that if you elect to use the Spectrum supplied modem/gateway it will more than likely also have the Puma6 chipset so you won't do anything to improve latency. I think the Technicolor and Ubee supplied modems do not use Puma6 but the most commonly supplied modems from Arris do.

Proven Sharer

@reds91185  You are right about the SB6190 modem.  It is capable of 32  channels, but the local cable system only has 24 activated in the modem, and they are all full of noise.  

Lead Moderator

Morning!

Please do let us know how the appointment goes.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

I had a technician come out, Wayne, who was fantastic.  He determined the issue was being caused by the modem.  I have since replaced the modem but still my latency is higher than I would like to see.  I live in Kansas, and doing a traceroute using WinMTR to "kansas-city.speedtest.centurylink.net" I am seeing an average time of nearly 50 ms.  The worst offenders seem to be "agg9.stwlks0401h.kc.rr.com" (288 ms) and "kcm-core-01.inet.qwest.net" (184 ms).  My levels are good and this seems to be on the TWC side.  Am I looking at it wrong?  Anyone else in KC who could provide me with their experience to the same server?

Proven Sharer

As I commented a week ago, "Swapping out the modem for a different model will do nothing to reduce the noise and the resulting errors."  Replacing your old SB6190 modem with a different one that does not use the Puma6 chipset does nothing to reduce the incoming cable system noise on all 24 of your internet DS channels.  

When it comes to measuring data speed, I would suggest you use Spectrum's Speedtest by Ookla website.  Only that site can measure actual data packet speeds from your modem to the edge of Spectrum's transport network just before handing off to one of the contracted IXP providers. 

Spectrum doesn't guarantee a maximum latency measurement, nor 'ping' times, just that your data transfers up and down will be at least 80% of the tier you are paying for.  However, an average latency of under 100 msec is considered reasonable to most cable system operators.  Gaming sites and associated software use special compensating techniques to simulate a 'level playing field' for their audience. These require a stable end-to-end connection generally not possible at speeds over 100 Mbps. 

Since you have identified two devices with noticeably long delays, tell your local Spectrum tech and ask him to forward the device name information (and IP addresses if known) to the network service team responsible for hardware performance.