Rookie

Re: Only 4 downstream channels: My modem supports 8.

I am having a similar issue with my Netgear C3700-100NAS. I've had this modem for a couple of years and it just started flashing a couple days ago. (Do I post here or start a new thread?) Here are my DS channels, just in case:

netgear_downstream.png

6 REPLIES
Expert

YOU ALSO HAVE AN INTERNET ONLY FILTER TRAP ON THE LINE PLUS CORRODED CONNECTIONS ALLOWING INGRESS...

pls, START A NEW THREAD,  THIS IS OFTEN LIKE PULLING TEETH TO GET THEM TO COME OUT, REMOVE THE FILTER TRAP AND REPLACE CONNECTORS.

It cannot be fixed on the phone. needs a tech out

Rookie

I am not too savvy in this area so I appreciate some patience with my ignorance.

How can you tell that I have an internet only trap on the line and corroded connections?

Is there someplace that explains what the filter trap looks like and how to remove it? Or can this only be done by a tech?

Established Sharer

The trap is a cylindrical device about 1" diameter and 2" long with cable connectors on both ends.  We can see its effect on levels of the DS channels; that is why your last three channels (DS 1, 2, and 3) show no signal.  It was originally installed to keep a direct-connected "cable-ready" TV set from watching the premium movie channels.   Nowadays they are digitally encrypted, which blocks them automatically. 

Since you said that this problem just appeared a few days ago, Spectrum is probably rebuilding their cable network in your area to increase internet capacity.  The trap could been installed years ago out on the street drop, at the safety grounding block where the cable enters your home, or at a splitter along the coax cable coming to your modem. Always let the home service tech locate and remove it.  Bonus points for you if you find it indoors before he arrives.  Nobody likes to work outside in the rain and snow.

Rookie

(I replied to this yesterday but it's not showing up - hopefully this does not end up being a duplicate!)

Thanks so much for this info - very helpful!

The filter is definitely not inside the house - I go directly from the wall to the modem.  I've had issues with that wall connector in the past - could that also possibly cause this issue? And I have young cats that recently chewed through a fiber optic line near that wall connector... so there's a possibility that they've messed with the wall connector as well. I'll have to get back there and take a closer look at it.

As for getting the tech out here, any suggestions on what to tell Spectrum in order to make that happen?

Thank you again - really helpful information!

Established Sharer

tiktok wrote:

(I replied to this yesterday but it's not showing up - hopefully this does not end up being a duplicate!)

Thanks so much for this info - very helpful!

The filter is definitely not inside the house - I go directly from the wall to the modem.  I've had issues with that wall connector in the past - could that also possibly cause this issue? And I have young cats that recently chewed through a fiber optic line near that wall connector... so there's a possibility that they've messed with the wall connector as well. I'll have to get back there and take a closer look at it.

As for getting the tech out here, any suggestions on what to tell Spectrum in order to make that happen?

Thank you again - really helpful information!

Tell the help desk basically what MsRaye said:

"YOU ALSO HAVE AN INTERNET-ONLY FILTER TRAP ON THE LINE, PLUS CORRODED CONNECTIONS ALLOWING INGRESS."  and  PARTIAL SERVICE RCS.  Also print out a copy of the line level page for the tech to review.  Point out high errors on DS5 and the levels for DS channels 6-8 which are not being received at all. 

The folks staffing the phone or chat help desks will try to tell you that nothing is wrong with your connection.  INSIST on a tech visit and do not let them talk you out of it.  They might also call you back before your appointment saying that they found and fixed the problem.  DO NOT LET THEM CANCEL, TELL THEM THE TROUBLE IS STILL NOT FIXED, YOU STILL NEED A TECH ON-SITE VISIT! 

Don't worry about not finding the trap indooors.  A lot of times the trap was put on the pole where your drop cable is connected, specifically to keep folks from tampering with it. 

Expert

They need to replace the connectors as well