Newcomer

Random Modem Disconnects (T3 / T4 errors)

[ Edited ]

Been having issues over the past 3 weeks with my modem randomly disconnecting. Had a tech come to check it out, he replaced all the ends of the lines, checked the 2-way and 4-way splitters for the apartment (the 2-way IN is from outside, first split is Modem, other split is the 4-way for the rest of the apartment), checked outside at the complex's connections, saw no issues. There are no other splitters present other than the ones TWC supplied for the apartment.  He recommended we change the modem which we did, and if it didn't work, he said it might be a building wiring issue. We tried changing the modem at Spectrum, but are still having the same issues. I've pretty much ruled out everything but the apartment's internal coax cables I assume. It doesn't matter if the connection is being used or not (most devices can be sleeping or off), it just randomly disconnects. At times, what seems to fix it is physically disconnecting the coax from the modem and attaching it again, but this only sometimes works. Checked modem log when issue occurs, gives errors similar to:

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8

South Portland, ME, 04106
Multiple apartment complex
Current getting the basic TV / Internet service from Spectrum
Modem works fine until these random outages.

The following log is during an outage (read bottom to top):

13 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Random Modem Disconnects (T3 / T4 errors)

Ok, there's a 4 way for "the rest of the apartment"...

Do you have cable boxes on all 4 ports? If not, there must be terminating resistors on unused/ open jacks on that 4 way splitter.

What's your zip code?

I hate the technicolors lack of corrected/ uncorrected counters...

Do you have TWC phone service? If so, there may be an IPv6 issue.

Newcomer

We are having the same problem. 78550
Newcomer

[ Edited ]

Only one cable box on one of the 4-ways, it is an Arris DCX3200-M box supplied by TWC. The rest have nothing connected. If I buy some terminating resistors, should I put them on the wall plates or on the 4-way splitter itself?

EDIT: I connected just the Modem and Cable box to the main 2-way splitter, eliminating the 4-way for now. I'll give that a while to see if it helps at all.

ZIP code was posted in the first post already, but I'll post it again, 04106.

I do not have the phone service, I use a cell phone instead. I believe it's just called a "Double Play" package (TV / Internet).

This modem actually has something similar to what you are looking for regarding corrected / uncorrected, maybe this is it? These are the counts since yesterday.

Expert

The 2 way with only 2 devices connected is the way to go, eliminates a dozen connectors and cables. See if this behaves better,,,, the tech that was last out should have done just what you did.

There may still be problems elsewhere in the building/ out on the pole.

Expert

The corrected/ uncorrecteds may have been you, changing the connectors at the 2 way....

If the modem has a "reset FEC counters" click on it to zero the counters out, if not, see if they keep increasing, Right now the bad to good ratio is unacceptable, Needs to be better than 1 million to one with higher than 10million to one being ideal

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

The corrected/uncorrected image was taken before the splitter change, but all numbers are still increasing.

Still having T3 time outs even with just using the 2-way splitter. This was just a few minutes ago. So I can probably rule out the 4-way as the cause because it's not connected.

Expert

Copy and paste the signal level page again, There's some sort of upstream level or interference issue, possibly on the entire node.

TWC/Spectrum does little to track US ingress issues... Need to see if it's a severe level change.

Long T3's = a T4 which resets the modem to try and get "better" channels of which there are none.

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

Downstream/upstream levels look virtually the same as the first images I posted when the connection works fine, but I want to try to see these values during a downtime to see if it's any different, but it's a matter of luck and good timing.

Newcomer

I haven't gotten any reading on the upstream power levels when the connection is down, yet.

However I got reading inbetween outages, and the upstream power levels went up to 51-52 instead of the normal 44-46.