Established Sharer

Re: Question about DHCP Start address????

It's probably Spectrum polling their network periodically, not a malicious port scan .  Now put the MTU setting back to its previous value. 

Expert

These are DNS ports....

TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan 319  Wed Jan 17 22:53:00 2018   My Public IP Address:47936  209.18.47.61:53 
TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan 79  Tue Jan 16 19:40:43 2018   My Public IP Address:49254  209.18.47.62:53 
TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan 8  Mon Jan 15 16:57:42 2018   My Public IP Address:60011  8.8.8.8:53 
Spectator

Polling its network?  Well whatever was happening it looks like it is done happening I dont want to jinx myself.  Now put the MTU setting back to its previous value?  Sounds like your giving me orders or something I dont like the way that sounded.  Also I know the first two are time warner cables dns server's with dns port and the third is google's dns server.  Everything is working ok so far Im going to leave it alone. 

Ill let you know if I have any additional problems.  Just a question what do you mean polling its network periodically?  three hundred and nineteen times is not periodically.  I have checked the modem and the MTU setting was at zero I must have changed it back and there is now six hundred port scans Im not sure what was causing the problem it looks like the problem is fixed.  If it happens again Im going to post again Im happy my internet is working unhappy that I didnt find out what was happening if it happens again I dont know what to do ill post here again.  Thank you for trying to help me.

Expert

Do you understand how dynamic route addressing works?

THere is no fixed servers from ISP 1 user A's thru ISP 1's servers thru Itransport provider 2,3,4 to host server B. 2,3,4 may change from minute to minute

These paths can change from minute to minute depending on traffic loads and interconnecting status. DNS is constantly updating and that's why it's dynamic not static. The DNS cache converts www.xxx to actual IP addy's and those change as well.

It's why DNS caches need to be periodicly flushed to obtain a new table.

Next issue is antivirus TSR's, there's always back and forth packets to stay updated. If those are interupted , the OS needs to see why and take corrective action if it's a viral/malware attack

Spectator

I understand how it works somewhat you probably understand better then me (dynamic route addressing dynamic IP address and a static IP Address yes I understand one is temporary IP Address thats why if you have a dynamic IP Address you get a lease time on your IP Address and one is a permanent IP Address).  I do understand that DNS converts name to IP Address.  I completely understand antivirus TSR terminate but stay resident programs.  I lost my internet connection again I hope it doesnt start doing the interrmittent crap again.  I could have been getting Dosed or DDoSed but I dont know if I have problems again Ill call spectrum like I did before I get faster responses that way.  Thank you for any new information you gave me.

Highlighted
Expert

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages, there should be some indication of what the outtage ws.