Highlighted
Browser

Possible in-home issue causing packet loss and latency

Hello, 

I was experiencing numerous skips and jitters when playing games, and upon further investigation I think there's some sort of a problem in the house with the modem or router, or something along those lines, and I need help narrowing that down, or any sort of advice I can get. Packet loss I am seeing at the router seems to coincide with the end destination having packet loss or much increased latency at that time. I've provided screenshots from PingPlotter below of an instance. Router is Sagecom Fast 5260, modem is Netgear CM600. All done over wired on a clean computer, the results shown on the graph are reflected on a separate computer as well. Also, it's worth noting that I'm a bit suspicious about the agg37.ithcnycy01h.northeast.rr.com node - sometimes as seemingly a separate issue, it drops packets itself and has erratic ping spikes. Not sure about that one either.

14 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Possible in-home issue causing packet loss and latency

Need the upstream level page

How much run time on the ds level page?

Browser

Sorry, here's upstream. DS runtime should be about 16 days. 

Expert

2-11, 2-12 , had the T3's and may have reset it

Levels look good, see if correcteds on the first ch are increasing, that's an issue if there's a lot

Ping plotter seems to indicate one of your devices is running sync/ cloud, onedrive, etc. of some sort and hoarding bandwidth.

Browser

Ah yeah, you're right about the T3s resetting it - I'm assuming that those criticals aren't related to my issue, right?

I wish I knew if something really was hoarding bandwidth... I don't have anything doing that as far as I know. Interestingly enough, the latency/PL happens in bursts, so there has to be something... I guess I'll reset both the router and modem and start fresh tonight, and let my main computer sleep while my clean PC keeps plotting. Any recommendations of what to ping to further troubleshoot? 

Browser

Also, just looked back at an instance where a couple more packets dropped and the router was fine, while the final destination and agg37.ithcnycy01h.northeast.rr.com coincided perfectly, nothing before the node experienced the same loss. I think there's two problems happening at the same time here, if I'm looking at the data properly. 

Expert

set ping plotter for 5-10 second intervals

Also post the tracert style display.

Browser

Just changed it to a 7 second interval... I'll let it run for a while and post results. Just note that I actually didn't end up restarting modem or router so they are still how they were last night, for now. 

Browser

I changed the interval to 7 seconds and ran for a couple hours, here's the result. I'm pretty sure the losses and latency are so short that I can't see them on this high of an interval.

Browser

I decided to check the modem levels before I reset everything and swap some cables, and I saw lots of correctables and uncorrectables...