Rookie

Pay for 200 mbps and get 88

From time to time i check my internet speeds, and more often than I'd like I see that I only get around 88 mbps download, even though I'm paying for 200 mbps.  Today I was in chat for over an hour and even let them take a look at my screen, which I'm hesitant to do,  understandably. No solution and contrary instructions, finally resulting in a complete and sudden disconnect with the support chat. 

I tried disconnecting my modem and router and rebooting my computer. Same speeds. 

Technician coming over tomorrow. But really, the chat support was competely ineffectual.

Oh, and if you're thinking, well, just downgrade your service and only pay for 100 mbps, you can't do that on the website. They may have been taken over by Charter, but the sales techniques remain the same. You can UPGRADE your service if you want, quite easily. But there's no way to downgrade on the website. 

Same old, same old.

11 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Pay for 200 mbps and get 88

Does it do that on hardline or wifi? I have the 300 package, and one of my laptops inexplicably only has a 10/100 ethernet port instead of the 10/100/1000, so it will only register download of like 95, because it is limited to the 100.  Is yours a gigabit port

Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

#1 thing when talking about internet speed boils down to one question to keep asking:

What is the weakest link?

Spoiler
For example, let's just use something simple like ethernet.  If it's a fast ethernet NIC on the computer, or router between the modem and the computer, that means it's 10/100 (meaning 100 Mbps max, symmetrical), so the cap is 100 Mbps.  Also Cat 5e wire or above is required for up to 1000 Mbps (aka. gigabit), in addition to limitations of the NIC.  In short, weakest link will limit the speeds, bottleneck it to that maximum, if you will.  If there is cross-talk signal degradation on the wire, or issues with the NIC, or even other LAN packets causing utilization delays; then it will slow down from it's theoretical speed of an even 100 to something less than 100.  And that's just ethernet that is rather simple, WiFi is so many more varibles...   I'm assuming you're getting this 88 Mbps on wired and not WiFi.  
Spoiler
Because if that's on WiFi that could be totally expected given all the environmental factors out of your control that could influence WiFi...
Here's a couple fairly basic, well-explained 5-minute videos on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZk0ksn0Yak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8gZzSDKrw
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages and a tracert to google.com

Need to see if those are good for a start

Established Sharer

Also please explain HOW you are determining your download speed.  The valid measurement uses ONLY the speedtest website found  HERE and posted at the beginning of this TWC Forum.  All other Ookla shared servers are outside the TWC network and therefore outside TWC's control.   The closest server to your home is not the fastest connection - ISPs don't route traffic that way.

Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean by a gigabit port. When I diconnect the wireless router and just plug the desktop in directly to the modem, the speed ramps up well over 100. Technician said I need a dual band ac router. I got one, connected it. Same problem. I've done some research and somewhere saw that the cable connection might need to be upgraded to 5e or higher. 

Rookie

No. A technician came by and said I needed to upgrade my router, which is separate from the modem. Technician said I need a dual band ac router. I got one, connected it. Same problem. I've done some research and somewhere saw that the cable connection might need to be upgraded to 5e or higher.  Does that make sense? I have ordered a couple of level 6 patch cables for delivery tomorrow. 

Established Sharer

EDITED to correct cable rating forGigabit ethernet.  KB

CAT-5 cables only work up to 100 Mbps.  You definitely need genuine CAT-5E for 350 MBps or Gigabit connections.  As others have said, your data devices also must have Gigabit network cards and the motherboards must have a Gigabit-compatible chipset.  The router must also have true Gigabit ports, not just a box saying "Up to 1700 Mbps"  That's one of several reasons I suggest signing up for 100 Mbps service, nothing faster. 

Expert

There are some counterfeit cat5e cables coming in from China via ebay. They're made from cat 3 and are grey with a black jacket molded/painted over the grey and they make 100- sometimes.

Rookie

They told me 100 was not available. LOL. That's what I asked for and they gave me the meaningless "upgrade."