Highlighted
Rookie

Out of options.. Cable modem keeps rebooting. Should I change out the modem?

[ Edited ]

We've been dealing with intermittent reboots for several months now, ever since we had to swap out our modem with a new model because of the TWC/Spectrum merger. After countless phone calls, and having 3 technicians out we are still having the issue. Our line was replaced, our modem has been replaced now 3 different times with the same model (TG1672G). The latest tech (out a few days ago) checked our line and confirmed everything was good. Based on some research, I asked him to put terminators on the empty ports (he did). He verified the signals are good and no noise is in the line. The cable modem page shows downstream power of -.80 to 2.70 dBmv. The SNR ranges from 37.61 to 38.61.  Upstream power is 34.50 dBmV - 37.50 dBmv.  Again, all seem to be in good range. 

I have noticed a pattern with the rebooting. A common / recurring example:  someone will be gaming on the xbox (wired) for a while.  Then someone will wake up their computer or use their iPhone, in either case simply browsing the web. Once that happens, the cable modem reboots.  This isn't 100% repeatable, but it happened this way 3 times this evening. My daughter and I were both on Xbox gaming. My wife went to use her Mac (wireless) and a reboot then happened.  I did this yesterday with my Mac (wired) and within a few seconds the modem rebooted.

My modem is wired directly to my router (a LinkSys AC4000).  Behind the router is a 16 port switch.  Is it possible that the router is putting too much load on the modem? 

I'm at my wits end with this issue. I've spent several hours on the phone, several hours with people coming out, and my yard is torn up due to them having to bury a new cable. I do have other options in town for a more stable internet connection (another local cable provider) but it's also more expensive.  Would changing out the modem to a better model help? The last tech that was here recommended that I try that, but I really don't want to spend more $$ and time if that's not going to help me.

14 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Out of options.. Cable modem keeps rebooting. Should I change out the modem?

turn off IPv6, it's incompatable with phone operation

Rookie

Re: Out of options.. Cable modem keeps rebooting. Should I change out the modem?

How do you turn that off? What's it for anyway?
Rookie

Turn off IPv6 on the router? I do see in the logs "IPV6 attempts: 1"
Rookie

Giving this a try, thanks for the suggestion. This may very well be the culprit. Prior to the new modem, we had two separate modems (one for internet, one for phone). I disabled IPV6 in the router, will see if it works. 

Rookie

Could you tell me where I go to disable that?
Expert

If that doesn't help, go into the wireless settings and turn scan off, lock the 2.4 gHz radio to ch 3 or 8, then in the router,  set the DHCP lease for a day, not an hour.

Set the DHCP start for 192.168.0.100.

If you have any devices like a printer or cameras or a network drive on wireless, set  for a static IP of 192.168.0.99  on down, do not use 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.10.

It would also help to post the modems entire signal level page at least 2 hours after it's last reset and the error log page.

Rookie

Ok, thanks again for the suggestions!! Those should be easy to implement. Before I do, I'd like to see if it makes it 24 hours without rebooting after disabling IPV6. I'll post the modem signal again after work this evening to see if it has changed much.
Rookie

What router do you have? I have a Linksys and I had to go into a certain area in the administrative console to disable it.
Expert

I'm running legacy IPv4 only routers.... and do not have TWC phone... I see Spectrum is installing seperate phone and data modems at business class customers to get the IPv6 reliable.