Rookie

On the 300 down / 20 up service but only receiving 147 down / 23 up.

Hello,

I'm on the 300 down / 20 up new service but only receiving 147 down / 23 up.

I'm using a new Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 router, and a brand new ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 modem. These should be able to handle 300 down / 20 up without any problems at all.

Any ideas what I should do here? Is there some kind of setting I should flip on or off or something? The router and modem are both using default settings (aside from WiFi SSID & Password).

I'm at a loss. This seems like a really good router and modem combo.

I simply have the Modem connected to the Router, which my PC is then connected via Cat6 Ethernet directly to the Router. Should be perfectly fine.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: On the 300 down / 20 up service but only receiving 147 down / 23 up.

[ Edited ]

I know this is going to sound silly, but if you bypass the router (modem to computer's ethernet NIC directly) do you get the same results?

And when you test, are you testing to the headend for your region?
For example, where I am (MidWest market), I have to tell Speedtest.net not to choose just "nearest" by default, but actually make it test versus the "Columbus - OH, Time Warner Cable" site, which is where the actual headend is for my market.

Also, when posting on these forums, it'd be a good idea to share your modem's error log and signal level reports, if you're willing to troubleshoot.  Otherwise the audience of peers here hasn't much they could give for input.

Finally, I'm glad to see you're using a computer to test this and not a Playstation4 or XBox 360 which are notoriously inaccurate/fake for their tests.  So good on you.

I personally and replying to you through a SB6183 modem.  So I doubt it's the modem.  (and I'm a just guy who likes teamplay video gaming and outdoor activities when off the clock)

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Rookie

[ Edited ]

Hiya! Thanks for the reply!

So I went to bed and literally just woke up. That's all I've done since this post.

This is my speed test now, having literally done nothing aside from sleeping: 

This is really weird. Why would it increase so dramatically after time? I'm legit dumbfounded. A follow up speed test clocks in at 275 Mbps, out of the 300 I'm paying for.  I think that's an acceptable margin, right?

I did receive the router today and installed it today. Did it just need time or something? I'm actually really confused.

Established Sharer

This particular modem [SB6183] has the recently found Puma-6 chipset software issue.  Replacing it with a non-Puma model MIGHT be a valid fix.

Highlighted
Sharer

The 6190 has the Puma chipset, not the 6183.

Expert

twc can't provide reliable 300 meg service and it's really of little use unless you're streaming video to 10 different devices.

You need to downgrade to 100  or 200, but beware, that will require a change to spectrum which will foul up your cable tv services

Rookie

Well, the reason I went with the 300 service is for the 20 up, as it's the only tier they offer in my area with 20 up.

I stream on Twitch and upload VODs to YouTube (been at it for 4, almost 5 years now) and the upload is very important to me. Download is nice to have, but not as important to me.

Established Sharer

Sorry, you are correct.  I misread my list of "DON'T SUGGEST USING THESE MODEMS" provided by a friend at TWC.

Expert

200/20 was available with TWC but not with Spectrum.

Rookie

If your getting that kind of speed from this new service I think your the only one.. I upgraded to the new speeds two weeks ago. I had (when they upgraded the speed and were still on the phone with me) speeds like yours. Around 150mbps download  and about 20mbps upload speeds. The next day I was 22mbps download (now averaging 17mbps download) and 10 Mbps upload (average now is about 8). After five hours of tech support rebooting everything re authorizing everything I still have terrible service and have to use the lowest video quality settings on hulu amazon and Netflix. The wonderful tech support can't explain how I can have good service on only the day of the upgrade and never again.  Their solution it has to be my equipment. Yet they themselves say its operating fine. There next suggestion was they send someone to my house to discover the problem (all my equipment including their modem are brand new)  when I suggested that unless everyone in the city I live in is using my equipment  for there service it doesn't explain why everyone I've talked to here is having the Same

problems.  I for one am getting very tired of paying premium prices for sub par service. Next stop for me. NY state Attorney General. NY is already after this company for this exact reason.