Newcomer

New modem - now having very high “Uncorrectable” counts on most channels.

Hello all,

I’m currently on a Time Warner 200mbps download 20mbps upload plan. 

I got a new mesh router system, so there was no more need for the TWC provided modem/router combo. So, I went and purchased my own modem .

The new modem is an Arris SB6190. It’s wired directly into the cable coming out of the wall.. no splitters or connectors between the modem and the wall. And as far as I know, this cable is connected directly to the cable coming into my house from the street. (A technician was at my house a couple months ago on an unrelated issue and replaced the wiring coming from the cable box on the street into my house, then the wire to the cable.. so it’s all new wiring)

Now that the router has been online for a 10-ish hours, I’m noticing a lot of “uncorrectable” values on channel 1 and channels 17-24. 

My connection appears to be fine, and on the various speeds tests I’ve ran i’m getting over 200mpbs download and 20mbps upload.

Any reason for concern about this? Is there anything that can be done?

A1BF9A1A-2AE5-4535-B9AC-EC6973D671CD.png

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: New modem - now having very high “Uncorrectable” counts on most channels.

I'll bet there's a splitter in line.

I'll bet there's loose connectors or a bad cable between the outside grounding block and the modem.

Is this on a wall plate? If so, see iff the connector on the backside is loose. All must be a tad more than finger tight.

You are getting severe ingress from tv ch's 45-50 as well as a Tmobile 4G phone (705 mHz)

The first ch is the home ch and it won't work until that ingress is eliminated..

If you can factory reset the modem, you might get a cleaneer first channel... but the ingress will still be an issue, it needs to be eliminated

Newcomer

)I personally checked the entire line when it was installed when the technician came out a couple months ago.

the line goes from the box in front of my house (not sure what it’s called.... it’s a green box where other houses are hooked up at as well) to a new grounding block on the side of the house. Then goes from a brand new line through the wall and to my modem. That’s it.. no splitters at all.

All the connectors appear to be tight.

There really isn’t a way to “reset” the modem, but I did unplug it for 2 minutes then plug it back in and still got the same thing..

No one in the Home has T-mobile.. but there is a T-mobile tower about a block down the road. Maybe that’s causing it?

Should I even try calling Spectrum to see if they can fix this?

Proven Sharer

No one in the Home has T-mobile.. but there is a T-mobile tower about a block down the road. Maybe that’s causing it?

Should I even try calling Spectrum to see if they can fix this?

If yur wiring is in good shape, and the connections are tight, then the ingress is elsewhere in the system (i.e. - on the poles).

The T-mobile tower could most definitely be causing it.  This problem is only going to get worse when all the wireless telcos being using the spectrum they've bought in the last FCC auction.  I am not sure of the course of action, but I would begin by explaining the problem to TWC/Spectrum and have them send a tech out.  The tech will vet the wiring, and if it's determined the noise is coming from outside your wiring (i.e. - the street), they'll probably need to send a bucket crew to determine where the problem lay.

Do your neighbors have similar issues?

Expert

Sprint bought out the "whitespace" between existing 600mHz tv channels and has a dozen cities up but no subscriber  handsets released yet. Will be sometime in 2018.

Tmobile sells off airspace to others like tracphone, boost, clearcom and Prepaid cellular co's

Is this underground cable running outto the pedestal? Can you get and post on Imgur, a couple photo's of what's in the pedestal? Most likly ingress is from other neighbor on the same tapoff in that pedestal and especially the hardline "stingers" being corroded and loose where they screw into tapoff and amps along the street as well as loose/ missing amp covers.

Road salt and lawn pesticides eat up the aluminum, they need to do a real good egress check along the street, the inhouse guys down't have the green guns to do that.

I was getting daily T3 timeouts and T4's, Went and found a split off hardline a quarter mile downstream of me that ran off to a house with a setback (and no cable service) (so how the heck can that even be called in?) Had a bucket truck guy go down there and as he wrenched down the connectors, I heard the egress go away 500 feet away... My T3's went away.

Other was at a house a half mile upstream of me, The bucket truck guy could only leave a door tagas He wasn't allowed to work inside homes, They had just bought that house and who knows what the previous owner had...

BTW, underground is often worst than overhead, it's far more costly to maintain.

You and the neighbors may also have electrical grounding issues:

Is the grounding block bonded to the electric ground wire below the meter?

Underground single phase 7600v service has lots of issues with neutral riding several volts above ground resulting in the cable TV coax creating an alternate neutral path.. Isee between 1/2 and 1 amp on mine and I'm overhead lines.... Ground rods, even multiple ones don't help, my second grounding electrode is my 200' well casing.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

All eight channels in the new bank (25-32) are full of errors, so I would suspect a loose connection on a line amp att the next node on the overhead route, especially if Spectrum has recently expanded the number of internet DS channels in your area.  

It's double trouble whenever the 'home' channel (#1) of your modem's DS assignment has high uncorrectable errors like DS32 in yours does.