Observer

Re: New Spectrum GIG no where near 940 Mbps

Well so little update. I removed the splitter he had put on the line. It was a simple 3 way splitter with a -7dB effect.

The internet speeds are coming in a little faster. I am averaging between 450-650 now. Opposed to 250-400 before.

I have been using both speedtest.net, and the spectrum speed test tool, this represent averages I am seeing across the board.

I mentioned earlier that the default password is not used on my modem. My assumtion is TWC has flashed a custom firmware onto the modem. Or whenever it connects to the internet they change the password, as the defaults do not work, even after holding the pin hole reset, factory default user/pass do not work.

TL;DR; After removing the -7dB spliter the internet speeds are coming in a little better. Though still haven't broken the 700Mbps mark. Time to get advanced support on the line.

Highlighted
Rookie

chasez0r wrote:

I mentioned earlier that the default password is not used on my modem. My assumtion is TWC has flashed a custom firmware onto the modem. Or whenever it connects to the internet they change the password, as the defaults do not work, even after holding the pin hole reset, factory default user/pass do not work.

Can confirm I already tried every combination that I could google. 

Expert

Read the table I posted...

4400 is

adminpassword
Lead Moderator

Good morning.

I was able to locate your account.  We do have a problem with your RX on 

every channel.  I do see you have an appointment in place for a technician. Please

let us know how that goes! 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

If the modem was getting nearly +10 dBmV on every channel with a 7 dB splitter loss, as installed by the Spectrum tech, the levels will now be at +16 to +18 when the splitter is removed. The proper DS signal strength range is -8.0 to +10.0dBmV with SNR greater than 35 dB oin every channel.  A stronger signal does NOT always provide better data transport performance. 

Participant

So I just intalled the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 and its working for me at my 400mbps.

I have an ASUS GT-AC5300 and when I enabled bonding I get faster download speeds, not upload but download speeds. The SB8200 does work. 

Established Sharer

Your report of upload speed always measuring 23 Mbps makes sense.  The ads are careful to mention very specifically "Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner and Brighthouse) and others pending approval." 

The modem is NOT currently functional for 32 DOWNLOAD and 8 UPLOAD bonded channels on Spectrum's network.  Spectrum will NOT support DOCSIS 3.1 until their entire infrastructure and all TV subscriber boxes are upgraded from four to eight upstream channels.

Expert

Sorry but your information doesn't apply. The gig speed uses an entirely different broadband modulation and no bonded channels.  The 400 and lower uses seperate bonded channels

Expert

need to see the signal level page.. 

The last channel will look like this and is the start of the ortho gig channel (note the 'other' rather than 'qam 256')

159LockedOther702000000 Hz5.5 dBmV38.2 dB1620
Established Sharer

I boldly assume that as a New Yorker you already understood that your building owner controls the cable rather than the tenants.  You'll only get delivered signals as good as the cable in the walls.  Spectrum can't upgrade it to fix problems for individual customers, your building owner gets to pay for that..