Observer

New Spectrum GIG no where near 940 Mbps

I had the new Spectrum GIG service installed today in my NYC apartment, and my Speedtests from many, many different speed test services are coming in 250 Mbps - 550 Mbps at best.

Background: I am an IT professional myself.

I am testing directly off the Modem (Technicolor TC4400) using a Cat6 cable and my Ethernet jack is Gigabit rated.

The technition ran signal tests on my Coax and most of the channels were coming in at a healthy strength, though a few where coming in a little strong, which is a good thing. He ended up putting a splitter in the wall to dampen the signal, because apartnetly the GIG install policy wont let them complete the job unless all of the signals are in the Green. After that we re-ran the signal tests, and walla, all of the channels were now in the Green.

What does everyone think?

- Do I have a faulty modem?

- Should I remove the splitter he installed and let the stronger signals flow in?

- Do speedtest websites even support Gigabit testing reliably?

Thoughts on why Spectrum GIG is only a pinch faster then Ultra 300?

27 REPLIES
Highlighted
Participant

Re: New Spectrum GIG no where near 940 Mbps

What are your modem readings?  Have you tried a differnet ethernet cable? I am only getting 400mpbs here in Los Angeles and I am using a Cat6a Cable shielded to my Asus Rapture GT-AC5300

I would remove the spiltter and take readings again and see what speeds you are getting. Also did they install a TAP on the line? Here in LA if you dont have Video service they sometimes put a tap so you cant get TV signal. I dont have a TAP as I pleaded for him not to install it since all i do is stream anyways and i watch everyting via HULU or Netflix only 
Observer

Interesting! Thanks for the tips. I also don’t have cable tv, I’m not familiar with what a tap is. How could I identify that piece of hardware?

Unfortunately because they haven’t approved self owned modems yet I’m stuck with the technicolor, and of course they changed the user and pass so I can’t access the modems status page using the default credentials. And a reset holding the pin hole on the back doesn’t actually bring it back to factory. They most have some custom firmware flashed on.

I’m planning on removing the splitter tomorrow and retrying. Though the tech did mention that if the channels are coming in hot, or too strong, it could cause the modem to go into a reset loop. We will see!

I tried a bunch of Cat6a cables same results. Even Cat5 same results. And again this is going directly from the modem, to eliminate my network being the issue.

More context for everyone. My building is about 10 years old so the COAX in the walls should be totally sufficient.
Expert

Leave the splitter in. what's marked on it and does it have a terminator on it's empty port?

POST THE SIGNAL LEVEL PAGES, also the  Error log if you can find it.

What are you going to  for the speedtest, only the twc/ spectrum will work...

Why do you think you need speeds that fast to a single device? It's not what they're selling, lol.

Observer

Q: Leave the splitter in. what's marked on it and does it have a terminator on it's empty port?

A: Not sure I'll check when I'm home from work

Q: POST THE SIGNAL LEVEL PAGES, also the  Error log if you can find it.

A: I can't I am locked out of the modem, they changed the default user/pass.

I tried the serial / mac as the password as well. No luck.

Nor do I have any Coax signal equipment.

Q:  What are you going to  for the speedtest, only the twc/ spectrum will work...

A: I am using Speedtest.net, and hopping around multiple different servers etc

I also am downloading large files from AWS S3 as a test as AWS's throughput is massive. Same lower speeds then advertised.

Q: Why do you think you need speeds that fast to a single device? It's not what they're selling, lol.

A: I work for a company that deals with massive data sets, and I work from home occasionally, so having Gigabit connection really makes downloading 5TB of data much smoother.

And also, yes this is exactly what they are selling. Advertising 940/35 on the line to a single device. I'd be happy be 750 on the downstream.

Rookie

I'm averaging 750-910 in Austin with 41-43 up

Rookie

No problem, but thats not what I was trying to do. Don't be so salty, friend. There is a lot of posts, on reddit, of folks only getting 500-600, but thus far the few people in Austin area that I am aware of are seeing similiar results to me. 

I was experiencing lots of packetloss on 10 year old cable a few months ago on the 300m ultra plan and inconsistent 300m speeds. A few folks complain in my neighborhood and I advised them to ask for new wiring and issues were resolved for all that I followed back up with. For me when I asked for new wiring the tech installed all new wiring from the street to box on side of house, and added a powered booster. When the Gig install tech came out a few days ago he wanted to remove the booster but I refused stubbornly.

The Gig install techs tool read 1.05 down and ~150ish up during install. You mentioned signals were normal, but what were the speed tests with the techs tool? If it was like mine, then the problem is within the modem or provisioning they provided to your acct. 

After initial setup (before activation/provisioning) I was receiving ~600-700m, my tech noticed my line being 'coded' wrong (my router was getting an actual IP from the modem as well). He asked to speak to some advanced technical team who was able to see the same erroneous coding and after a reboot of the modem I saw the higher speeds, and then my router was reporting the modem as 192.168.100.1... not sure if it was related at all, as my old Arris would report a 70.x ip instead of 192.168.100.1 randomly as well.

Regarding your question about Speedtest.com reliably doing gigabit... more often than not it is reliable. I lived in KC with Google Fiber and used SpeedTest for testing rather than Google's and always was 900+ up/down.  I have family members in Austin with Google Fiber and Grande... everytime I've tested it was 900+ for Google and Grande was 850+. I'm unlucky to live in an area than can get Google, Grande, or ATT fiber all better options than TWC/Spectrum in Austin area.

Storms/surges, age, etc affect the copper more than you would think. Ask for new coax, ask for a new modem. (940 advertised, but I believe they only commit to 500+, at least thats what the sales rep told me when I was signing up). 

Observer

There we go great response thanks!

I live in a large apartment building so re doing the building Coax would be out of the question as they didn’t use any conduits. And I believe spectrum wouldn’t do that anyway.

When the tech was here we were getting close to 700 on his device. Though I had to let go because I had to get back to work before more tests could be performed.

My gut tells me 2 things are wrong. The dampening of the signal with the splitter was a dumb idea just so he could submit the job and move on.

And secondly, I have a feeling there is something up with the modem. Perhaps some channels aren’t bonding. I wish they supported the Arris SB8200 I’ve had really good stability with self purchased modems over the last half decade.

I’m going to see if I can’t get “advanced support” on the horn tomorrow. Perhaps I’m experiencing some coding issue as well.

Thanks.
Participant

From what I remember it was some metal circular tube they would insert the COAX cable in and I think somehow that would scramble the video signal feed but that too was cause issues with my internet. 

If you can buy the modem via amazon and if it doesnt work send it back. I know on this modem you should be able to get to the 192.x.x.x 

As for the Coax it could be the outside wiring along with inside but chances are the inside wiring 

Try reading this post it might help. 

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/New-Construction-What-Kind-of-Coax-to-Use/td-p/729...

Expert

What speed do you get on the TWC/ Spectrum speedtest tool?

here's all their default logins...:

DWA1230
DWA1230 default factory settings
admin-192.168.1.1
TC4400
TC4400 default factory settings
adminpassword192.168.100.1
TC7200
TC7200 default factory settings
adminadmin192.168.0.1
TC7200 (Thomson)
TC7200 (Thomson) default factory settings