Netgear Nighthawk C7800

Has anyone here purchased and used the Netgear Nighthawk C7800 with Spectrum Internet?

I have contacted Spectrum support and they have said it is not on their list as being tested, so therefore it is not supported. They did state that they support DOCSIS 3.0 and that DOCSIS 3.1 is only supported on their 1GB plan which is not available in my area. I am currently on the Ultra plan, the fastest available. We all know that it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Has anyone out there tried it and if so, did it help with performance at all?

I am finding that as more devices in my house get connected, not only are things getting slower, but we get disconnects once in a while and I end up having to reboot my existing modem/router about once a week.

13 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Netgear Nighthawk C7800

You really do need to wait for Spectrum to list your preferred modem device as approved, since "we all know that" the company has to send the provisioning file to enable the unit when you register for service.   No approval means no boot file available to turn on your modem!  Further, not living in a Spectrum Gigabit service area DOES mean your modem won't operate at speeds above 300 Mbps. 

Highlighted
Participant

What modem and router do you have now?

Are you sure the disconnects you’re experiencing are because of the equipment? You might want to post your modem signals here, so folks like Karl can check them out for you. Your issues could be signal related.

Expert

If it's a modem router all in one , there's lots of issues, especially when running wireless devices...

Post your signal level and error log pages.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have a C3700-100NAS .

Here are some pictures showing stats and logs. Any comments or suggestions?

Netgear1.pngNetgear2.pngNetgear3.png

Proven Sharer

Something else to consider...I'm seeing that as of right now customers with gigabit service must use the Spectrum supplied modem (I think it's the Technicolor TC4400). It could change so that customer owned modems are allowed in the future for this tier, but maybe not, or maybe the "future proof" modem you buy isn't supported.

A much better option is to get a separate router. The AC1900 and AC3200 are both excellent routers.

So do you think it would be better to go with one of their recommended modems and then get the best separate wireless router I can get? It's only the modem that they care about supporting, not a separate router which is internal to my network correct?

Proven Sharer

Correct, if you are using your own router they do not support, care, or otherwise have access to it. They would only be able to get as far as the modem. If you're on a  Spectrum plan and are looking to go gigabit as soon as you have it available, I would recommend using the Spectrum included modem (if it's a gateway model have them put it in bridge mode with the wifi turned off to avoid the extra wifi fee) and use your own router until such point that customer owned modems are on the approved list that support the higher tier.

Expert

Need the up/downstream signal level pages.. thge T3 and T4 errors are a coaxial issue.

Here you go!

Netgear4.png