Rookie
guchino

Netgear CG3000D Firmware

[ Edited ]

I bought a Netgear cg3000d, which is on the list of approved devices.  I am having trouble with the device and TWC keeps directing me to Netgear and Netgear is directing me back to TWC.  Evidently the firmware on the device I purchased in not correct.  Additionally when I look at my profile on line, it shows my equipment as Comsonics Modem.  I have been told by TWC technicians that TWC cannot push firmware updates to subscriber owned devices.  If this is the case can someone tell me what version of the firmware I should look for when purchasing a Netgear cg3000d?

* Additionally when I look at my profile on line, it shows my equipment as Comsonics Modem, not Netgear. 

* Netgear has a site (support.netgear.com) that lists firmware by device.  The cg3000d only has firmware from    an Australian service provider.  TWC firmware is not listed.

* Though this device is listed on the "tested and approved" list, it is not sold through normal retail channels like  Best Buy nor does it appear on Netgear's site.  It can only be purchased through a reseller mostly on eBay and  Amazon.

Please use plain text.
Participant
Geezus127

Re: Netgear CG3000D Firmware

Ususally you would type the modem/routers ip address into the address bar in your browser and login in to the modem/router and then somewhere in the setting the should be a button to make it do a firmware up date. You should be able to find out the ip and the username and password either from netgears website, the box/instruction, or just google it. It's usually something like 192.168.0.1 and the un and pw are usually admin and password if you haven't changed them.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
guchino

I logged into the settings and there is no box to update firmware.  I spoke with Netgear and they said, since the device is made for service providers and not the general public - the firmware is updated or pushed by the Service Providers.  Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
mountainman

i would  just  go & buy a new router  from walmart  there  is no way to  update  it

Please use plain text.
Participant
Geezus127

There has to be some way to do it.

Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

check over at DD-WRT, perhaps someone there has a fix

Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

Recomendation is to buy a basic modem and your own wireless router as that Netgear is system specific and there is no generic firmware that covers all systems it may be connected to. All the cable systems seem to refuse flashing a customer owned device including one you bought from them.

If you can, return it to seller

Please use plain text.
Rookie
jaymenna78734

MSRaye:  Are you a TW employee, or are you just segeesting this to be 'helpful'?

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
CG3000D_User

I recently activated this modem on Time Warner and purchased through Amazon. The firmware version I have is 5.5.3. It works fine and fast. You can login this firmware with a special login as user: MSO  and Password: changeme. I think this version is for Cox cable.

You should download it's program called Netgear Genie, it will allow some extra features. I have tried to update the firmware, Time Warner said it checks when it first connects and if it needs it, it will automatically do it. Though I think when they are from other ISP's, it will not work. You cannot update it from the router login, and other than that there is a firmware update in Netgear Genie, but it constantly gives me a failed to get firmware version information error. So if you get one outside of Time Warner, you might be stuck with its firmware unless Time Warner or Netgear updates something or offers a fix. Like you said I think TIme Warner currently has some policy or inability to push the firmware to the user, and or especially to users who bought it outside of them. So no way to update the firmware other than through the ISP or netgenie which won't work most likely due to some block from the current ISP branded firmware.. Download netgear genie and try for yourself and post back, try to get one with a different firmware, or start an action to require TIme Warner to help users update the firmware on these bought outside of them. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Rookie
acheong87

CG3000D_User wrote:

You can login this firmware with a special login as user: MSO  and Password: changeme. I think this version is for Cox cable.

Thanks, this worked for me. Apparently logging into the admin panel with standard wifi credentials shows a limited interface, but logging in with MSO / changeme showed a new section with content filters, which is what I was looking for.

Please use plain text.