Highlighted

Netgear C7000 firmware update - (Bring your own modem)

I bought this modem and activated it. It has old firmware on it, version V1.01.15 and the latest available according to Netgear is V1.01.23. When I call support, they are "dumb" and don't know how to push this update to my modem. Spectrum Support keeps telling me that firmware updates are pushed out automatically. This is NOT true of "Bring your own" modems. Netgear doesn't provide the firmware, and told me that Spectrum has to push the update to my modem.

Spectrum needs to also tell their support reps, that initiating a "reboot" of my modem, will not push an update to it. There is more on that side to do. I had a modem updated in the past through Time Warner, but now Spectrum support seems like they don't know how to do this! Am I the only one calling in with a "bring your own" modem, that needs firmware update?

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Who can I talk to directly about this issue and getting the update pushed to my modem?

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Netgear C7000 firmware update - (Bring your own modem)

What problems are you having?

The latest firmware is not always the correct firmware. The cable companies use firmware that works and it could even be older than what is in the modem they will roll it back.

If you're having issues it's usually not a firmware problem. And if the firmware is that old, the hardware is as well and that could be an issue. Then we've seen  the new firmware won't even run on the old hardware.

Established Sharer

warpedtrekker wrote:

I bought this modem and activated it. It has old firmware on it, version V1.01.15 and the latest available according to Netgear is V1.01.23. When I call support, they are "dumb" and don't know how to push this update to my modem. Spectrum Support keeps telling me that firmware updates are pushed out automatically. This is NOT true of "Bring your own" modems. Netgear doesn't provide the firmware, and told me that Spectrum has to push the update to my modem.

Spectrum needs to also tell their support reps, that initiating a "reboot" of my modem, will not push an update to it. There is more on that side to do. I had a modem updated in the past through Time Warner, but now Spectrum support seems like they don't know how to do this! Am I the only one calling in with a "bring your own" modem, that needs firmware update?

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Who can I talk to directly about this issue and getting the update pushed to my modem?

This actually IS true for all modems. Netgear may have a more recent firmware update available but until the cable companies (all of them do this) test it they will not push it out to their customers.  Who do you think the average customer will blame if Netgear pushed a firmware update to your modem that wasn't compatible with Spectrum's network?  CSR reps and tech support do not push firmware updates, only the engineering department, and then only after extensive testing.

I am experiencing both cable and wireless internet connection stability issues. According to the release notes, those are fixed in the latest firmware. My modem is also reporting high network stats, of crazy high downloads of 1TB+ in one week. This is not correct and a bug in the firmware.

Also, previously I had a Netgear C3000 for three years, and Spectrum/TWC had NEVER updated it over those three years. Until I called them, they then pushed the update for it. They told me that "Bring your own" modems never update automatically and you have to call into support for them to push an update.

If you're having issues it's usually not a firmware problem. And if the firmware is that old, the hardware is as well and that could be an issue. Then we've seen  the new firmware won't even run on the old hardware.

"

Not sure how you come to that conclusion about firmware? I've been working as an I.T. Engineer for past 10 years, and firmware updates are one thing we always recommend first to try and fix things. Especially if it is listed in the release notes of the firmware that it fixes specific things I'm experiencing. 

Also this C7000 is "new" hardware, one of Netgear's latest modems. Supports 24 channels bonded for speeds up to 960Mbps. Far more then what Spectrum even has in their internet packages. On another note, it seems like it will be until hell freezes over, until Spectrum has 1Gbps speeds like their competitors. Too bad Google Fiber hasn't reached me yet, as I would have switched long time ago. Spectrum is artificially limiting the speeds of their network to consumers.

Expert

IT engineers have no clue on how cable modems operate in the real world.

Published speeds are theoretical max under lab conditions. And are not attainable for anything other than short bursts. 

And sorry, but TWC/ Spectrum has pushed updates to the 6580, 6121,6141, 6183, 6190 modems that are customer owned. And as soon as you open a sealed package and put it on coax even if it's not yet authorized...

Browser

[ Edited ]

Yes while some firmware updates can do more harm than good and sometimes older firmware or software is more stable, there are times when an update addresses specific issues that you may have. Regardless of the justification for wanting the latest firmware, there is still the bigger issue of getting these updates on customer owned modems. And just to clarify,  https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod... is the list of the latest firmware and ISPs. 

Your post makes no sense at all. I sure hope you are not one of the Spectum support reps, as you sure sound like one since you don't know what you are talking about. Not sure what you mean about opening a sealed package and putting on an unauthorized modem. My modem is fully supported and on the Spectrum supported list of modems. Therefore, it should be getting updates just like the models they hand out to customers.
Established Sharer

warpedtrekker wrote:
 Not sure what you mean about opening a sealed package and putting on an unauthorized modem. My modem is fully supported and on the Spectrum supported list of modems.

By "unauthorized" he is saying "not yet provisioned or activated" for your account. Yes, as soon as you hook a modem up to coax it will download the latest TWC/Spectrum approved firmware available, which isn't necessarily the latest firmware released by the manufacturer.

Spectrum news to get their act together and roll out these updates faster. It's unacceptable to wait months on a fix. It's the same with Android phones right now, where carriers would take their sweet time pushing out the latest Android update. At least Google is now starting to take over control of that process and will soon be the one pushing updates, bypassing carriers.