Contributor

My laptop is only getting 10 mbps download with my windows 7 laptop?

Hi, went to use my laptop in the kitchen this morning and it wasn't working tha t well on wireless. Spectrum upgraded us to 100 mbps from 60 and on this desktop it registers well with cable modem speed test.  Now, my laptop  in kitchen is only getting 10mbps download but about same for upload which is great but it never got that high before. However, 10mbps when you are getting 100 mbps wired is not acceptable.

So, what can I do to get better connectivity? Oh, also Firefox does not run properly and that is my browser of choice,...while Internet Explorer works fine. Perhaps this will define what is wrong and you can help me refine it. Thanks for helping, RD

2 REPLIES
Expert

Re: My laptop is only getting 10 mbps download with my windows 7 laptop?

malware and saved webpages that need to be deleted.. Common firefox issue

Hard to clean out, may need to delete/ reinstall firefox

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: My laptop is only getting 10 mbps download with my windows 7 laptop?

psongman wrote:

Hi, went to use my laptop in the kitchen this morning and it wasn't working tha t well on wireless. Spectrum upgraded us to 100 mbps from 60 and on this desktop it registers well with cable modem speed test.  Now, my laptop  in kitchen is only getting 10mbps download but about same for upload which is great but it never got that high before. However, 10mbps when you are getting 100 mbps wired is not acceptable.

So, what can I do to get better connectivity? Oh, also Firefox does not run properly and that is my browser of choice,...while Internet Explorer works fine. Perhaps this will define what is wrong and you can help me refine it. Thanks for helping, RD

OK, a  quick recap: 

1)  You ARE getting full speed when wired, but not over WiFi?  That tells us you have a WiFi problem, not a Spectrum problem.  Make sure your router has a clear view to the kitchen laptop

2)  Firefox doesn't run properly. 

As you said, FF is your browser of CHOICE.  What version? As of last week the latest FireFox for Windows is 58.0.2   Of course, FireFox is a software product that is not required by, supplied by, or maintained by Spectrum.  

Follow MsRaye's recommendations:  first set the preferences to clear the browser cache at shutdown.  If that doesn't resolve your issues, follow FF's built-in help instructions to refresh the installation.  That will reload a new install, but it also changes most of your customized setttings back to defaults and will discard some add-ons.